Thursday, October 11, 2012

Slurp Away the Sniffles?

I don't know about you, but my kids have started bringing home every virus and it's brother already this season.   I am happy to report that Super Immunity Soup has helped me stay up off the couch and away from the tissue box!  TRY IT -   I found if I doubled the garlic and lemon I enjoyed the taste more, but see what you think. 
I pilfered the recipe from Jessica at Glow Nutrition
Liquid Gold!  Okay, well Liquid GREEN at any rate...


SUPPER IMMUNITY SOUP!
 
This soup is like a savory smoothie. It's fast, vegan and mostly raw. If you cook cruciferous veggies (like kale) and allium veggies (like onions), the nutrients are destroyed. But if you puree them together first, they chemically bind together making a superfood, as well as keeping all nutrients in tact even when heat is applied. It's delicious and cures a cold in no time!

What You Need

2 cups kale
1 cup vegetable stock (homemade is best)
1/8 of a cup of any variety of onion (I like green onions)
1 clove of garlic
1/2 of an avocado
1 tablespoon of miso paste
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Sea salt and pepper to taste

How to Make It

Blend all ingredients together in a food processor or blender for until smooth and bright green. Heat through on the stove top - only  few minutes. Or you can allow your Vitamix to heat the soup as it blends to retain live cultures in miso. Serve immediately. Variation: Add dandelion greens instead of kale when cleansing in the spring. Add half of a small cucumber and serve cold as a gazpacho in the summer.

1 comment:

VeggieAmanda said...

This super immunity soup looks perfect for these fall months where everyone is getting sick. Thanks for sharing! :-)