Thursday, July 19, 2012

Quotable Quote o' the Day + Recipe

I had one of those 'I can't believe I said that!' moments this morning as my children squabbled over who was going to eat more waffles.  My six-year-old often tries to keep up with her ten-year-old brother's appetite, prompting my outburst,

"Eating is NOT a competitive sport!"

After I blurted it out I was struck how poignant that sentiment actually is.  Over-eaters are in competition with their better judgement.  Anorexics are in competition with their scale.  Of course there are the infamous, revolting how-many-hotdogs-can-you-eat type of competitions.

And then... often there are the vegan/vegetarians whom self-righteously compete against the the rest of the world to eat with perfect compassion.   Let's advance our passionate cause with just the compassion part - for humans first :-)

 On a lighter note - a great, QUICK AND EASY, no cook, summer recipe!!  I've been eating it for breakfast for an energizing, alkalizing happy jolt. Of course for other meals the addition of tortilla chips + vegan sour cream & cilantro is spectacular.





GAZPACHO

3 lg. Tomatoes
1 Cucumber
1 Green Pepper
1 clove Garlic, chopped
12 C. Tomato Juice
½ C. White Wine Vinegar
¼ C. Lemon Juice
1 T. Mustard
Tabasco to taste

Garnish: Cilantro and/or vegan sour cream

Wash, peel and chop tomatoes & cucumber.  Wash, seed and chop the pepper and place
all in a salad bowl.  Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well and serve cold w/ the chopped
cilantro on top.  

3 comments:

Alexis said...

I really appreciate what you had to say today! And the recipe looks great :)

FireHorse3 said...

I love gazpacho! Just waiting to get some ripe tomatoes here in the UK - it has been so wet this year that none have ripened yet!

Jag & Nevie said...

AH! That's the beauty of gazpacho - you can use less than perfect tomatoes and still have something knock-out:-) I'm going to have to make some more this week!
Cherie