Thursday, July 19, 2012

Donut Muffins

By Cori of Peace, Baby! Batiks

When I was a kid, my grandmother made the best homemade donuts. Crispy on the outside and warm and soft on the inside. They were amazing, and I loved them.

I don’t own a deep fryer and I do try to watch how much fried food I eat, so I haven’t attempted homemade donuts myself. That’s where this easy donut muffin recipe comes in. I’ve been making this one for what seems like forever, ever since my mom shared it with me years ago. They hit the spot in my appetite looking for donuts, especially when you slice them in half and spread peanut butter on them.


Donut Muffins
Yield: 12 1c sugar

1/3c shortening
1 egg
1/2c milk (I use soy milk)
1 1/2c flour
1 1/2t baking powder
1/4t nutmeg
1/2t salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan or line with paper or silicone baking cups.

Cream together the sugar and shortening. Add the egg and milk. Stir in the dry ingredients.

Pour the batter into the muffin pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly browned on top.

Note: I have successfully made this recipe vegan by substituting Egg Replacer for the egg.

No comments: