Thursday, May 10, 2012

Swiss Chard and Tomato Frittata

By Cori of Peace, Baby! Batiks

I was vegan for a year in college, and I still haven’t gotten back a taste for eggs. That’s fine by me; I don’t miss them. I use them in baked goods, of course, but scrambled eggs aren’t something I’ll make myself for breakfast.

But, I have enjoyed the quiches we’ve added to our repertoire – my son loves broccoli and cheddar quiche – and I was excited to try a frittata when I saw this one containing Swiss chard in Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites.

A frittata seemed kind of like a crustless quiche to be. It’s supposed to be cooked on the stovetop. In theory, you cook your frittata for a bit, flip it onto a plate and then slide it top down back into the pan to finish cooking.

Yeah, right. Not so much for me – I don’t know if I didn’t use enough oil or if I should have been using a nonstick pan. But, thank goodness for cast iron; I could use the alternate baking instructions given in the recipe. When the flipping didn’t work out, I threw the whole thing in the oven instead!

Swiss Chard and Tomato Frittata
Serves 4
Source: Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites 1 pound Swiss chard

4 cloves garlic, minced
1c chopped onions
2t olive oil
6 egg whites
2 whole eggs
1T dried basil
1/4t salt
1/4t pepper
1 medium tomato, sliced

Grated Parmesan cheese Wash the chard, and remove and discard (or compost!) the stems. Chop the leaves and set aside.

 In a 10- or 12-inch skillet, sauté the onion and garlic in 1t of the olive oil over medium heat for about 3 minutes. Add the chard and stir. Cover and cook about 10 minutes on low or medium-low heat. Remove the skillet from the heat and drain, if needed.


Meanwhile, beat the egg whites, eggs, basil, salt, and pepper until blended. Stir in the sautéed Swiss chard. 

To bake, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9x13-inch pan or cast iron skillet with pan spray. Pour in the Swiss chard-egg mixture and arrange the tomato slices on top. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the eggs are solid and the top is golden brown. Serve immediately or at room temperature.


The recipe says this makes four servings – they’re four generous servings. We cut it into eight for smaller, more manageable servings. I served it with a side of homefries and homemade applesauce. Kind of like brunch for dinner!

1 comment:

FireHorse3 said...

This looks great. I have some chard growing in the garden, so will have to give it a go. Ideal for people (like me) who are gluten intolerant, too.