Thursday, March 22, 2012

Skillet Shepherd’s Pie

We celebrated St. Patrick’s Day a day late this year, and I wanted something quick but appropriate for our holiday dinner. This skillet shepherd’s pie, which I found through Pinterest, looked to be perfect – with a few necessary modifications, of course.


I think I’ve found my new go-to shepherd’s pie recipe! (Even better, my four year old loved it!) I might even try this one camping this summer using instant mashed potatoes.


Skillet Shepherd’s Pie
(modified from GrandmasKitchen.com)

Four servings of mashed potatoes, either homemade or instant
1 package vegetarian grounds*
10 oz. frozen mixed vegetables
1 recipe brown gravy (see below)
Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

* We like Morningstar Farms brand grounds, which come in a 12 oz. package, but any type would work. I’d also like to try this recipe with TVP, ground seitan, or even crumbled tofu.

Preheat your oven to broil.

Prepare mashed potatoes as desired – homemade or instant. (My husband makes great mashed potatoes, so I put him in charge of this part.)

Brown the grounds in a broiler-safe skillet (I used cast iron). When they’re completely thaw, add the vegetables and cook for several minutes, until the veggies are warm. Mix in the gravy and simmer for 5-10 minutes until everything is good and warm.

Place a ring of mashed potatoes around the outside of the skillet, leaving an opening in the center. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the potatoes. Place in broiler for about 5 minutes until the cheese browns.


Brown Gravy
(modified from The Nutritional Yeast Cookbook)

2T cornstarch
3T soy sauce
1 1/3c water or vegetable broth
Pinch each dried sage, thyme, rosemary and oregano 1T nutritional yeast

Stir the cornstarch and soy sauce in a sauce pan to make a smooth, thin paste. Whisk in the broth and herbs and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Remove from heat and whisk in the nutritional yeast.

The original recipe also calls for 2T tahini to be added with the nutritional yeast, but I find the flavor too strong in this recipe, so I usually leave it out. We love this gravy over mashed potatoes and Quorn, too.

No comments: