Sunday, February 12, 2012

Spotlight Seller

This week on the Spotlight Seller we welcoming another newbie to the EtsyVeg Team, Amber of This Little Bird!!!


Tell us a bit about yourself? 
Hi! I'm Amber Long and I've been living on the Central Coast in California for just over 11 years. I'm a Californian born and bred, but love the Central Coast. I am married to an elementary school teacher and we share our home with our three rescue cats. We love to travel, read, cook, garden, and play with our cats!

Vegan or Vegetarian? How long? 
I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian with vegan tendencies. I have become increasingly aware of the amount of animal by-products hidden in food labels so with the help of the HappyCow website I'm trying to avoid them. I've been a vegetarian for 16 months.

When did you open your shop on Etsy? 
I opened my shop on Etsy, November 1, 2011, sadly the same day my grandfather died from lung cancer. Consequently, I'm even more passionate about doing what I love and living a fulfilling life.

I have been an Etsy buyer since 2007.


Turquoise Cotton Tote Bag

Tell us about what you sell on Etsy? 
My shop is eclectic. I get inspired by fabric, buttons, felt and all kinds of other things, then have to set out to find something to make from all these things. My current focus is tote bags and zipper pouches. I have about 5 more products I want to launch this year including canvas totes, aprons, dish towels, placemats and napkins.

When you are not working on your shop, what do you do? 
Aside from my day job in operations for a medical group (herding 13 physicians) I spend time volunteering for the American Cancer Society and other groups, learning new things like how to crochet, and hanging out with my husband. We love to travel so we are always thinking and planning out our next trip. We also spend a lot of time gardening and going to book stores and the library. Currently I'm taking a photography class. As they say when you stop learning you start dying. 

Flower Button Zipper Pouch
Where do you get your inspiration? 
I get my inspiration from the medium itself. I can walk by a fabric and have a physical reaction to it, so I buy it. I've learned over time to trust this instinct. If something is cute but so-so I pass on it. I buy what I love and create something from it. I also love nature and the colors in nature can be so inspiring!

What's your favorite veggie meal? 
Pretty much anything that has zucchini or artichoke hearts in it! I've always adored fresh veggies, even though I grew up on canned and frozen veggies. Imagine my amazement when I moved away from home and started tasting fresh veggies!

Where else can we find you? 
While I do have Facebook, Twitter and Google + accounts, I still haven't figured out how to use them yet. In the meantime you can follow me on my blog at thislittlebirdshop.blogspot.com



Thanks for being parting the team Amber! Don't forget to stop in This Little Bird to check out all of Amber's creations!!

*If you want to be featured in an upcoming Spotlight Seller please convo BunnysBakedGoods on etsy for more information!* 

2 comments:

Lucy - LuniqueUK said...

Love your banner Amber! And those button pouches are so cute :-D

Big Hairy Bugs said...

Hi Amber! Great interview! Say hi to the kitties for me!