Sunday, October 2, 2011

Spotlight Seller

This week the lovely Laurel of Straw House Books is our Spotlight Seller! Laurel is "Rewriting 
the Story of The Three Little Pigs" with her wonderful well bound books! Let's find out a bit more about her...


Tell us a bit about yourself ? 
My name is Laurel. I've lived in the Twin Cities for almost 15 years. Ten of those years were spent working in food co-ops buying and selling organic produce. I presently share my home with a senior dog and a rotating population of foster cats and kittens.


Vegan or Vegetarian? How long?
I was vegetarian for 18 years before becoming vegan three years ago.


Tell us about what you sell on Etsy? 
I make handbound journals, photograph albums, sketchbooks, and boxes. My favorite part of this process is making my own bookcloth. I love fabric and don't like to be limited by what's available commercially in the way of bookcloth.


Chalk Marks Handbound Photo Album

When you are not working on your shop, what do you do? 

I work at an animal shelter full-time and am also studying to be a vet tech. I just finished my first year of the program! My dream job is to work at a farm animal sanctuary. I can also see myself working in emergency room medicine and high-volume spay/neuter clinics.

I love the Fields of Flowers Feedsack Journal! What inspires you? 
I love vintage feedsack cloth and have a collection of it that I've acquired over the years. I frequently dip into it when I'm making bookcloth. Each piece tells a story. Sometimes you can judge a book by its cover, so to speak!


Fields of Flowers Feedsack Journal

What's your favorite veggie meal? 
I have a standby favorite casserole. It's macaroni and cashew cheeze. I add green olives before putting it into the oven.


Where else can we find you? 
I consign journals at the Minnesota Center for Book Arts in Minneapolis. I try to do at least one show each year as well. Etsy is my sole on-line venue.


Thanks for being part of team and all your wonderful work on etsy and off!!  Check out Laurel's fantastic work at  Straw House Books

1 comment:

Mothra Sue said...

Oh my gosh I LOVE that you use feedsacks as coverings for your books!!!!!!! I am in LOVE with feedsacks!! Awesome idea!!!!