Thursday, August 4, 2011

Confetti Couscous Salad- Vibrant, Fresh, Super Easy

Been making this recipe from Vegetarian Times for years, and it's a favorite because of its alive, bright flavors. I'd forgotten about it for a while, until the recent heat wave and a need for some easy & nutritious whole foods made me start digging for some dishes that are low-cook, low-kitchen-time, and low cost. This is very similar in ingredients to the Easy Burrito recipe I posted last week on my blog, but with a little less cooking!

Use fresh peppers and herbs from the garden or farmer's market! I used a fresh-picked jabanero pepper, and my fingertips burned for hours, literally! We made vegan chocolate chip cookies for dessert after this- try this awesome recipe (I prefer using another type of egg replacer in place of the applesauce- a bit too cakey otherwise)!




















Confetti Couscous
from Vegetarian Times Issue: June 1, 2000, p.60

Ingredient List

6 servings

1/2 cup diced yellow bell pepper (optional)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
2 Tbs. olive oil
3 to 4 Tbs. fresh lime juice (2 limes)
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper (optional)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 cup uncooked couscous
15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained, or 1 3/4 cups cooked black beans
1 cup cooked fresh (about 2 ears) or thawed frozen corn
1/2 cup diced red onion

Directions

NOTE: Because of my dislike of most raw veggies, I actually saute the peppers for a few minutes before adding to the salad.

In medium saucepan, combine salt, cumin and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add couscous, stir and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with fork. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff again.

Add beans, corn, onion, bell peppers if using, cilantro and jalapeno. Stir in oil and enough lime juice to give salad a puckery edge. Serve warm or at room temperature.


5 comments:

Alexis said...

I think I saw this recipe in Vegetarian Times---Yuuuumm! Thanks for sharing!

Tess, Gilded Days said...

Oh my goodness does that look good!

Julie said...

Looks great!

FireHorse3 said...

Yum! That looks delicious. :op
I will try it with cracked bulghar wheat for a gluten free version.

Gina said...

Looks and sounds delicious!