Tuesday, February 8, 2011

From Shel Silverstein

Somehow I missed out on Shel Silverstein earlier in my life. I just discovered his work in the past few months!  I found this poem in "Where the Sidewalk Ends", thought I'd save it for one of the occasions mentioned in the poem but it is appropriate at any time, so enjoy ...... oh, I've found his poems are best read out loud!

Point of View

Thanksgiving dinner's sad and thankless
Christmas dinner's dark and blue
When you stop and try to see it
From the turkey's point of view.

Sunday dinner isn't sunny
Easter feasts are just bad luck
When you see it from the viewpoint
Of a chicken or a duck.

Oh how I once loved tuna salad
Pork and lobsters, lamb chops too
Till I stopped and looked at dinner
From the dinner's point of view.


9 comments:

Kraxpelax said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
VeggieAmanda said...

I'm wondering if the first comment is SPAM and if we should have it removed! Anyway, I love Shel as a child and read his poems often. I wonder if that somehow influenced my decision to become a vegetarian as a teenager. :-) Way to go Shel!

FireHorse3 said...

Yikes! A spamster got here first! Great poem in the main article - thanks for sharing!

Mothra Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mothra Sue said...

Wow that's a long and not very related first comment! Anyway, I love that poem by Shel Silverstein! It's really weird thinking about the average non-veg parent reading that to their child. You know, them reading it as something cute and ~fun~ without really thinking about what it's saying.

Gina said...

I too find the first post elaborate spam. It appears he saw the post was a poem so added his own but no comment about the posted poem or its message.

I also wonder about moms who read Shel's poem to their children not stopping to really think about it. I also tried to find out if Shel was vegetarian but could not find an answer. I hope he didn't write the poem with humor in mind!

ShabbyNChic said...

I read this a few months ago with my son (who is also veg) and we just loved it!

The Tasty Vegan said...

This is the first time I've heard of Shel, I think I'll have to investigate more.

I wonder how many vegans ad vegetarians were read that as a child and filed it somewhere for later referencing? There are some great books around for explaining animal ethics to kids; I love kids books!

Have you all read the Benjamin Zephaniah poem about turkeys and Christmas? He's an ace spoken word guy from the UK, there's a video of him performing the poem on youtube. He's vegan and worth checking out.

How did a spamster get here first!? With uniquely styled wallpapers...really?!

Gina said...

Thank you for mentioning Benjamin Zephaniah. I had not heard of him, so just Googled him and will check out some of his work.