Monday, February 7, 2011

EtsyVeg Member Monday: Maggie from Magglepie!

Stitch Scarf by Magglepie
Meet Maggie from magglepie on Etsy!
This is what she had to tell us...

What do you sell in your Etsy shop?
 I sell handknit scarves and blankets mostly.  Occasionally I’ll whip up a hat or some washcloths, but blankets and scarves are really what I love to make.

How did you get started creating? 
Well, when I was 11, my grandma taught me to crochet, but I didn’t really take to it very well.  I don’t think I really had the patience or desire to learn how at that time.  Then about 9 years ago, I asked her if she would teach me how to knit, and she did.  I was hooked from the first second I made that first stitch.  I absolutely fell in love with knitting.  And now, while I will crochet on occasion, I can honestly say that knitting is my passion!

What other artistic tendencies do you have?  Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try? I’ve always admired the work of good photographers.  There are some photogs on the etsyveg team whose work I see and I am just floored because it is so astounding.  Being able to take a camera and create a picture that is so breathtaking you just want to step in has always been an admiration.  Anyway, long story short, I would love to become a really good photographer, and try my hand at that a bit.  I also think painting would be fun.  My grandpa Arvid was a painter, and I remember spending so much time admiring all the work he did.

How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict?
I’ve been on Etsy for two years already, and I am totally addicted!  I love it. 

How long have you been vegan/vegetarian?  How does being veg play into the rest of your life? I’ve been a vegetarian for almost 15 years.  I remember thinking to myself, this tastes really bad, every time I ate a piece of meat.  So, I just stopped.  I’ve been vegan for I think about a year.  That transition has been a little more challenging, as I sometimes still get cravings for cheese.  But I found that mixing avocadoes in with my smoothies really helps fight that.  It’s important to me to stick to my feelings and beliefs about being vegan because I don’t think that there is any reason for humans to kill or otherwise hurt other animals simply for the sake of our taste buds.  I find it ironic on so many levels that humans are the only species who not only cook the heck out of their meat, but also consume milk products from entirely different species of animals.  I guess there’s just always been this deep seated respect I’ve got not just for other humans but for other animals.  I strongly believe that everything on this planet has the right to live out the natural course of its life without cruelty or premature death.

Maggie at her Brother's Wedding
What is the last recipe you made?  What are your food vices or cravings?
 The last thing I made was a fruit smoothie, which isn’t so much a really complex recipe.  I mean, you can throw pretty much anything you want in a smoothie and it tastes good.  The one I made this morning had bananas, strawberries, blackberries, an avocado and an orange.  I would say that something I really crave a lot is hummus on soft shell taco wraps or spicy vegetable stir fry.  I make my stir fry with potatoes, carrots and broccoli a lot and mix it with this awesome spicy sauce and some rice.  It is so good! 

What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?
I’m not sure if I’ve really got a favorite website or blog, BUT there’s this local restaurant in Moorhead called the Thai Orchid that I love.  It’s not exclusively vegan or vegetarian, but it is by far the most vegan friendly restaurant in town.  They will make anything on their menu vegan for you if you ask, and the food is so good!  Some of my vegan friends in the local veg group I’m in got me hooked on it at my last birthday. 

Posted by JFillustrations.

5 comments:

FireHorse3 said...

Hi Maggie! Nice to meet you and hear about your life and craft :)

Julie said...

Great meet you Maggie!

Heather said...

Nice getting to know more about you, Maggie!

Lucy - Lunique Jewellery said...

Great to learn more about another teamie :-D

thebluewindmill said...

Nice to meet you Maggie!!