Monday, February 21, 2011

EtsyVeg Member Monday: Karina from Maple Ash & Oak

Meet Karina from Maple Ash and Oak.
This is what she had to tell us...

Etsy is a unique blend of artists with many different creative styles and approaches.  What is your own "philosophy" or approach to creativity?

I pretty much always have a hundred ideas floating around in my brain at all times. When an idea comes I try to write it down or sketch it, wherever Im at. This probably isnt the most organized approach as I have several papers, scaps, napkins, whatever scattered around my house! The hard part is focusing my efforts on a few designs or ideas that I wont lose interest in. I whittle down the designs or projects that are cohesive with my shop and keep me motivated.

What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

I sell hand printed and dyed goods in my shop. I am mainly focusing on apparel at this time but plan to expand in the coming months.

What are your creative inspirations?

I get inspired by many different things, sometimes very strange and random. Nature and naturally occurring patterns are my main interest, I love patterns! Adorable little quails have been running around my mom’s backyard, so that has started some ideas flowing recently. I love animals so they are the source of most of my inspiration.

What would you like to try to make, that you haven't already? What is
your dream project?

I would like to become a better seamstress and sew all of the pretty designs I’ve had in my head. I’d say Im proficient but not extraordinary and wish to improve my skills. My dream project is to sew a women's line of organic apparel.

Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?

When Im not constantly obsessing over future projects and checking my Etsy, I love to play my guitar, spend time with my boyfriend and chihuahuas, play poker and hike around Arizona.
(I will be hiking the Grand Canyon this September for the 1st time! Woohoo!)

What are your future plans for your shop/business?

I plan on focusing more on my artwork and adding pieces to my Etsy shop. My specialty lies in screen printing patterns into large format prints on fabric. Some are even 4’ by 8’. I use multiple screens and a special measurement method to print to create layered patterned art pieces.

Here are some examples:


What is the last recipe you made?  What are your food vices or
cravings?

The last recipe I made is my version of the spicy McChicken. I get spicy buffalo soy nuggets and layer on a sandwich with vegenaise, lettuce and spicy mustard. Sandwiches are my thing.... as in I cant make much else!

My food vice is bean burritos. Living in Phoenix, you are always surrounded by the best Mexican restaurants and food. Im actually doing a bean burrito count this year and several of my co workers have bet on how many I would eat this year. So far im at 17! Yikes! Its a whole food group for me!

My favorite restaurant is Green New American Vegetarian. Its a totally vegan restaurant. It’s sooooo super duper good! http://www.greenvegetarian.com/

10 comments:

Heather said...

<3 Bean burritos too! I miss them horribly! Nice to get to know you more, Karina. I have a chihuahua too. I love the tights you made for me, they are my favs!

Lucy - Lunique Jewellery said...

Your dog is sooo cute! Great to learn more about you Karina :-D

Maple Ash and Oak said...

Thanks guys! Lovely to be featured!!

Aguavino said...

Nice to meet you, Karina! Cute chihuahua!!

thebluewindmill said...

Nice to meet you!!

Great items in your shop!

Such a cute pooch!!

the little said...

omg...your dog is so cute!!! i think it should be an honorary member of etsyveg. nice to know more about you and your store!

Kathryn Hansen said...

i love your layered patterns...very nice!!!

Sinister Soaps said...

Oh wow. That "mushy" layered print is gorgeous! When I'm done with my weight loss, I have to order some tights from you.

Julie said...

Great to learn about you Karina. Cute puppy!

FireHorse3 said...

Great interview - love your layered prints on Flickr and that little pup is toooo cute :)