Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sprouting a Fresh Start


Inspired by January and the Etsyveg team theme for this month of "Fresh Start" I thought I would share with you what I am doing in Pixiepod´s garden. I enjoy sprouting seeds and beans, not just for their nutritious value but because I love the idea of all that goodness in such a little package.

In the photo you can see lots of bare earth, this is one of my beds in the vegetable garden. I have just sewn some cress seeds and some lettuce seeds, all over the bed and watered well. I hope to acheive a huge amount of cress and lettuce. I will thin the plants out regularly and create an abundant source of sprouts to eat, without the usual jars of sprouting going on in the kitchen, I´ll just maybe have one on the go.

If it fails, perish the thought, I can turn the soil and feed the earth with the sprouts, this is called green manure. Alfalfa makes a great choice for this or mustard but hey ho, I had cress and lettuce and I like them "big" too.

I hope I can post some photos of my bed ablaze of green shoots so watch this space. I will post any failures too! xx I am making lots of fresh starts in the garden this year, new areas being created and existing areas being developed, if you are interested check out my blog http://pixiepod-pixiepod.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Gina said...

Good luck with your garden! I'll be planting some lettuce soon, a first for me but the arugula did well so I'm hopeful for the lettuce. Happy fresh start growing!

pixiepod said...

thank you Gina, I am sure your lettuce will do well! Mmm nothing beats the freshness of growing your own. xx