Monday, January 24, 2011

EtsyVeg Member Monday: Kristy from Sinister Soaps

 Meet Kristy from Sinister Soaps! This is what she had to tell us...

What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

I sell handmade vegan soaps, scrubs and other bath/beauty products.  I'm
constantly thinking of something else I want to add so the list will
continue to grow.

What are your creative inspirations?

As far as soap making goes, I draw inspiration from many things.  My biggest inspiration was the Seven Deadly Sins.  I researched essential oils and
chose most for their association to the stereotype of each sin.  Then I
formulated my blends based around those scents.  For other things, food and
teas play a large inspirational roll, though I tend to lean toward a darker
or more indulgent side.

What other artistic tendencies do you have?  Do you have other
crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?


I've been creating something or other since I can remember.  I've always
tinkered with things and repurposed things.  I love to upcycle clothing,
toys, anything I can get my hands on.  I've started making plushies and
would love to have more time at the sewing machine.  I used to paint and
draw.  Recently I've wanted to get back into it, but I need more calm in my
life for that.

How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict?

I'm very new to etsy, having been a lurker for quite a while.  I just opened
my shop in November and I have to say that Etsy is quite addicting.

Is etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work?

Right now Etsy is my main focus for the business.  I take part in business
card swaps and I'm also placing business cards and mini brochures at local
places that may have potential customers.

What are your future plans for your shop/business?

I plan on doing craft shows and "Make-Your-Own-Favor" parties in the very
near future.

How long have you been vegan/vegetarian?  How does being veg play into
the rest of your life?


I have been vegetarian for nearly 15 years now.  I've been vegan most of
that time, but went vegetarian for each pregnancy and while nursing.  My
partner is vegan because of intolerance to dairy and meat.  My children are
vegetarian until they are old enough to make their own decision as to
whether they'd like to be vegan, vegetarian or omnivore.  At that point, I
will respect their decisions and expect them to respect mine.  Being veg for
ethical and environmental reasons plays a huge role in everyday life in that
I often make things from scratch to avoid contributing to companies that are
not so animal friendly.  It has also helped me "green" up my life a little
more by being so conscious.

What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?

I love Vegan Dad's blog.  He's so inventive with his recipes and I'm a
sucker for seitan meat analogs.   My favorite local vegan restaurant is
Veggie Heaven in Teaneck, NJ.  They have a few locations throughout NJ and
in NYC, Red Bamboo and Vegetarian's Paradise 2 (owned by the same people)
are a mandatory stop when in the area.  Their Crispy Soul "Chicken" is
heavenly.

Posted by JFIllustrations

6 comments:

Big Bad Art said...

Your soaps looks awesome! I just checked out VeganDad & followed- thanks.

FireHorse3 said...

Hi Kristy - nice to find out more about you and your shop :D

Lucy - Lunique Jewellery said...

Nice to learn more about another teamie :-) The 7 deadly sins idea is great!

Aguavino said...

Nice to formally meet you, Kristy! I love the theme of your shop and soaps!!

Julie said...

Nice to meet you and your family!

Sinister Soaps said...

Thanks guys! I'm in the process of deciding how I want to revamp my soaps and all my photos. When I do, I'll be sure to let you know cause I'm going to have a re-opening type sale. :)