Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Pet of the Week: Meet Kate & Lucy, Sister Cats!



Meet Kate & Lucy! 
These sisters are companion cats to EtsyVeg member
Andee from Etsy Shop Dandee.

What is your pet's name, birthday, sex, breed?
We have two sister cats. The first one we adopted is Kate and a week later we went back for her sister, Lucy. They're both female grey tabbies and they're a year and 8 months old.

Where/how did you come up with their name?
Kate was already named when we got her from a local shelter.  We changed Lucy's name from Jiminey Cricket to Lucy because they named her Jiminey when they thought she was a he and we just didn't think it suited her.  Lucy just popped into our heads and it stuck! We actually call her Goose most of the time.  It evolved from Lucy Goosey to Goosey to just Goose.

How did you meet your pet?  
Were they Adopted, rescued or other? Well, I never wanted to have a cat. I liked them and all but didn't want to deal with the hair and worst of all the cat barf.  It was my partner who kept bugging me to get a cat and finally I gave in and we went to a local shelter where I quickly fell in love with little kitty Kate.  She was one of 9 fere l kitties who were going to be put down by another shelter when D'arcy's ARC stepped in and took them all in.  The other shelter said they were too wildand couldn't be domesticated.  They were very wrong, let me tell you! We met a couple of Kate's siblings at the shelter who were as cute as can be too. It was hard taking just one home but I knew one would be more than enough.  Sure enough, less than a week with Kate and my partner was sure she needed a friend to keep her company while we were at work. So a week to the day later we were back at the shelter and little Lucy stole our hearts again and home she came!  She and Kate hit it off again like they were never apart which was a HUGE relief.  Having my girls now I don't know how I ever lived without them!I'm offically a crazy cat person now and proud of it!



If your pet was rescued or adopted, from who?
 We got them from a local no-kill shelter that I can't say enough good things about called D'Arcy's ARC (Animal Rescue Centre).  They have a Facebook page here:

What are your pet’s favorite toys, foods, snacks, activities?
They both love the stick end of the stick and long fuzzy thing with a feather at the end toy. Lucy especially loves it when Poppa sets up the pillows on the couch so she can hide inside and run thru them to get the fuzzy stick on the other end. They call it 'tunnels'.  And Lucy will eat anything.  She's constantly in our face when we have any kind of food out.  Lucy also love to hide inside boxes.  She's a fan of hiding anywhere.  Kate is a bit more laid back but also enjoys the fuzzy thing on a stick. Her favourite thing to do is sit on things. Anything.  A backpack on the floor, a sock on the floor, a tiny piece of paper on the floor, she sits on it.   She is also our lap cuddler.  She makes sure she's got the most comfortable spot ever by fidgeting for several minutes before settling in for some cuddles.  They both love the natural pet treats we feed them after we clip their nails.  They both also love to sit on the chairs under the kitchen table when I'm cooking.

What are some things you enjoy doing with your pet?
Watching them chase each other around the house and wrestle. It's by far the most entertaining thing to watch. Next to when they curl up on top of each other and nap. Painfully cute!

Do you take them to parks or to see people?  
Our kitties are indoor kitties so people have to come to them for visits.


Do you take your pet on vacations with you?
The less often we have to put them in their carriers and in the car, the better. They're NOT fans.

Does your pet have any special tricks or unique habits?
Lucy grunts sometimes and it's priceless.   And Kate likes to help with the dishes by climbing into the kitchen sink and licking everything clean. Likely not a unique trait in a cat though, I'm thinking.


How does your pet like going to the vet?  Do s/he *know* when it's time to see the vet & hide, or do they enjoy the extra attention?
We've only had to take them once since we've had them less than a year but neither of them liked it at all.  We thought Lucy would be harder for the vet to handle since she's still a bit skiddish but Kate ended up being more stressed out and difficult. Lucy made sure to stay close to her sister so she didn't feel alone, which was so cute. How do your family members get along with the pet? It's just me and my partner at home but when my twin 3 year old nieces and 6 year old nephew come over, the kitties run and hide for the most part. When my Mom comes to visit the girls love her.


Do you spoil your pet?
I don't know about spoiling them but they sure are the centre of our universe!

What's the most important/special thing your pet adds to your life?  
Their adorable, sweet little faces always brighten my day.  I'm sure we've got the cutest cats EVER and I can't go a day without telling them how much I love them.  And my partner and I can bond even more having them in our lives. I'm so glad he forced me to get kitties! ; )

Anything else you would like to add?
Kate and Lucy still have another sister at the shelter, Mango, who we often consider adopting too. But we're so afraid of messing up the great thing we have with the girls already.  And it's been so long now, introducing another cat might upset the girls too much.  Plus Mango is very happy with all the other kitties at the shelter. She's still in the kitten room taking care of all the little ones.

 
Posted by Julia of JFillustrations.

9 comments:

Julie said...

They look like really sweet kitties! They are so fortunate to have been rescued by you.

FireHorse3 said...

What precious girls. I loved reading about them and their individual personalities. They look so happy :)

Skye said...

they are so adorable!! my cat sits on everything on the floor too- her absolute favorite is paper. if you put any paper on the floor, she will immediately relocate on top of it. I'm glad to hear she's not the only one who does that!

Pluto's Gift Shop said...

Super cute kitties!! I just want to pick them up and snuggle them:)

Heather said...

Awwwww so cute!!!

Lucy - Lunique Jewellery said...

Gorgeous cats! And I share a name and nickname with Lucy/Goose! Mine evolved from Lucy Goosey too lol!! Nice to meet you girls ;-)

kittens mittens said...

Way too cute!! You should rescue the 3rd kitty, I had two cats at first and added a third into the mix with no problem at all. Although, every cat is different! :)

pixiepod said...

I love your cats! They look so cute and loving towards each other, I just went "augh", :)

SilentLotus Creations said...

Awwwww... They are beautiful, and I love that they are so close! Just too sweet! :)

My Sophie also LOVES to sit on paper. It's like she has a paper sensor and comes looking as soon as we put it out. No matter how small it is, she's on it. :)

Thanks for sharing!