Monday, December 20, 2010

Member Monday: Meet Jill from Bean Lennon!


Meet EtsyVeg Jill from Bean Lennon.This is what she had to tell us...

What do you sell in your Etsy shop?
My handwoven towels and runners, a bit of the jewelry I make/upcycle, and smattering of vintage stuff.  Basically, if I don't love it, it doesn't go in my shop.

What are your creative inspirations? 
Vintage, vintage, vintage!  I dress myself and my home in vintage because I'm really inspired by the times when people didn't just buy something on a whim and toss it out after a short time.  I also love color and putting together items you might not expect.  All you really have to do is look at me on any given day to get that...my husband often says, "WHAT are you wearing?"

How did you get started creating?  My mom has always been crafting, and she got it from her mother: floral arranging, painting, interior design, sewing.  My mom continues to make clothes for me, just like she did when I was a kid because while my basic sewing skills are there, I have yet to successfully make a buttonhole or put in a zipper.  And my daddy is really creative too.  When I was little, he did stained glass and was a really adventurous cook.  But when he bought the loom, I was in love.  Both of my parents have taught me various skills, and I continue to surround myself with people who are super crafty.  But I couldn't draw a stick figure to save my life.

What would you like to try to make, that you haven't already? What is your dream project?
When you work on your dissertation, people say you need to have an alternative activity.  Well, for me it's been yoga and running.  I THOUGHT it would be quiltmaking, but I just couldn't bring myself to sit and cut/sew/stitch after I had sat for hours reading/writing/pondering.  So, a quilt would be lovely.  I love the crazy eclecticism of patchwork, and I have all the fabric waiting for me.

Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?
I am a reader.  Stick a book in front of me, and I'll eat it up.  That's why I'm pursuing my PhD in English and a job in a university--I plan on spending my life with a book at my side.

What is the last recipe you made?  What are your food vices or cravings?
I actually JUST made a batch of cream of mushroom soup.  It's not a recipe; I just throw things together.  I love soup because I hate eating leftovers, but leftover soup is not a problem for me...it's usually better the second time around anyhow.  My food cravings change, but they are somehow always centered on carbs: mac-n-cheese, beer cheese wheat bread, white rice or egg noodles with plain ol' butter on it, handfuls of Rice Chex, gobs and gobs of oatmeal or Cream of Wheat.

What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?
Well, I lost my vegetarian restaurant "virginity" at the Laughing Seed Cafe in Asheville, NC.  When I went there last winter, I'd been veg for about 3 years but had not been to an all-vegetarian restaurant before.  Well, one taste of their vegan beer (I think it's called Green Man) and their seitan "fish" sandwich, and I was hooked.  At a subsequent visit, I had my first taste of chicken of the wood mushrooms.  Wow.

Posted by JFillustrations - Happy Holidays!!