Monday, December 6, 2010

EtsyVeg Member Monday: Jody from ShabbyNChic

Meet Jody from ShabbyNChic.This is what she had to tell us...

Etsy is a unique blend of artists with many different creative styles and approaches.  What is your own "philosophy" or approach to creativity?
I work on what I want to when I want to so that it stays fun and I enjoy what I do. Then, since I upcycle pieces, I let the piece itself "talk" to me. It sounds strange even to me, but I look at an item and let it "tell" me what color to paint it or what kind of finish to give it. Whenever I have finished something just to do it and not followed this sometimes slow process, I am not 100% pleased with the final product.

What do you sell in your Etsy shop?
I sell shabby chic home decor, including antique and vintage items and some supplies as well. Almost everything is one-of-a-kind and most are upcycled pieces.

What are your creative inspirations? 
Other than the inspiration I get from the pieces themselves, my work is inspired by nature and the seasons. I live in Oregon, so colors are constantly changing. I am also endlessly inspired by antiques so I love frequenting antique shops, especially when I travel because then I get to visit new shops that I have never been to. Overall my greatest inspiration is my grandmother who passed away many years ago. She grew up during the Depression and was a frugal and therefore very creative person, although I doubt she would have ever described herself that way as for her it was out of necessity. She was "green" without the intent and she certainly passed that on to me!

What other artistic tendencies do you have?  Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?
Other than the smaller pieces I sell in my shop, I also refinish larger pieces of furniture. Because of the extremely high shipping costs, I only sell those pieces locally (or I keep them). Here is a picture of a vintage phone bench I refinished in black. 


How long have you been vegan/vegetarian?  How does being veg play into the rest of your life?
I have been vegetarian since I was 12 years old - a long time now. ;) Recently I have been eating more vegan which has felt great health-wise! I am married with 2 children. Although my husband eats meat, my children are both vegetarian and am proud to say they have been since before birth. We are constantly talking about issues around compassion for animals, reading books, and recently adopted a turkey for Thanksgiving. I am so proud of my kids when they defend animals' rights. It says to me that they will defend human rights when necessary as well. It feels amazing to know that I am raising kind, caring, compassionate people.

What is the last recipe you made?  What are your food vices or cravings?
My absolute favorite recipe is a rice dish I learned this past summer from a Dominican friend. His version was not vegetarian/vegan, so he taught me the recipe and I taught him how to make it veg. People rave whenever I make it - vegetarians and non-vegetarians! 
You can see the recipe on my blog at:

6 comments:

Big Bad Art Collective said...

Mmm...that recipe looks delicious! Nice to learn more about you, Jody:)

Heather said...

Indeed, I'd love to try that recipe! Anything with coconut! Your shop is lovely, and I totally get the process.. it's like that with photography with me, the subject dictates the photo's overall look.. Nice to learn more about you!!

kittens mittens said...

LOVE all the unique items in your shop!! Great interview, it was nice to learn more about your artistic process :-)

Lucy - Lunique Jewellery said...

Great to read more about you Jody :-) That bench is beautiful!

thebluewindmill said...

Great article!

SilentLotus Creations said...

Jody, thanks for sharing with us! It's great to learn about who you are outside of EtsyVeg! :) xo