Monday, December 13, 2010

EtsyVeg Member Monday - Andee from Dandee

Andee at The Indulge Fashion Show '09
Meet EtsyVeg Member Andee from Dandee
This is what she had to tell us...

Etsy is a unique blend of artists with many different creative styles and approaches.  What is your own "philosophy" or approach to creativity?
I find all kinds of inspiration in the world around me and I'm always making mental notes when someone says something clever or I read something witty. My cards are created not only from my twisted mind but the sick minds of others! ; )  I'm actually a rather nice person despite what my cards may lead you to think.  The cards I make are meant to make people giggle until their sides hurt or gasp at how hilariously inappropriate some of them are. On a serious note, being as eco friendly as possible is also part of my mandate when it comes to creating anything.  That's why I use 100% post consumer waste paper for my cards, embelishments and envelopes and my cello sleeves that I display them in are 100% plant based and biodegradable.  Being green is actually pretty easy when you think about it and make a bit of an effort.  Hopefully one day soon it'll be second nature!

Light Switch Plates by Andee
What do you sell in your Etsy shop?
I've got my cards, light switch plate and a couple silk screened neck ties right now.

What are your creative inspirations?  
I find inspiration anywhere I can.  I try to keep my eyes open to new ideas everywhere I go.  It's the people and places around me that really bring out my creative energy.
  
Cards by Andee
How did you get started creating?  
I've always been a maker of stuff. My Mom is a seamstress and has a very creative soul so I think I get a great deal of it from her.   My craft/design addiction continues to grow and change all the time as I pick up new crafty projects every year. The ones that have seemed to stick are sewing, crocheting and now paper crafts.

What other artistic tendencies do you have?  Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?
 Well, I've done so many different kinds of crafts it's hard to keep track! I've done jewellery making, macrame, crochet, knit, paper crafts, card making, switch plate decorating, sewing, latch hooking, tie dying, batik, pottery, silk screening, candle making...... I think that covers it all. I most certainly am NOT a pro at any of those things and some I was downright terrible at but still it was worth trying.  As far as crafts I'd like to try, felting is on the top of my list.

What would you like to try to make, that you haven't already? What is your dream project?
Hmmmmm a dream project.... that's a tough one. Again I think it would have to be some kind of felting project.  I've got my eye on some felted crocheted slippers that I'd love to have for myself so maybe that would be my current dream project.

Bags by Andee

Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?
Honestly, having my own bricks and mortar shop really eats up all my spare time with creative projects to sell at the store or the other shops who carry my work.  But I also LOVE riding my bike, cuddling with my kitties and my dude, Mac and spending every Sunday in my kitchen baking and cooking.  Food would have to be my #2 passion in life next to creating.

How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict?  :)
I've been an Etsy shopper since 2005 and a seller since 2007. And I absolutely am an Etsy addict. 100%.

Is etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work?
Etsy is a small part of my business since I have my own bricks and mortar shop where I sell not on my creations but I also feature other local crafters and designers including a bunch I've found on Etsy.  As far as marketing I've got my blog, twitter and Facebook where I promote both my items at my b & m shop, Sew Dandee as well as my listings on Etsy and Artfire.

What are your future plans for your shop/business?
The plan is always to keep it going! In retail, your future in never certain so as long as I can make a living doing what I love and supporting other crafty folks, life is good!

 How long have you been vegan/vegetarian?  How does being veg play into the rest of your life?
 I've been vegetarian for about 8 years now.  Lately I'm trying more and more to reduce my dairy intake as well.  I find the more I learn, the more passionate I become about my vegetarian lifestyle.   I don't have many veg friends so I try to find non-insulting ways to expose them to the reality of what eating meat means in the grand scheme of things. It's tough but it's a conversation we all need to have with each other and ourselves.

Andee in Montreal
What is the last recipe you made?  What are your food vices or cravings?
 This past weekend I made some wonton ravioli stuffed with local squash seasoned with cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice with a Earth Balance butter, oregano sauce. It all turned out AWESOME!  My biggest vice would have to be the usual: chocolate.  I always have vegan cake balls or cupcakes in my freezer.  It's a must to have dessert on hand at all times.  I'm also a HUGE avocado fan and eat them almost every week.

What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?
A couple friends of mine just opened up a local vegan burger joint, Boon Burger that I'm in LOVE with!  They've got it all and keep coming up with fantastic vegan additions to their menu like vegan milkshakes, poutine and gravy. YUM!  Even the carnivores love it!  I also am still loving my Vegan Yum Yum cookbook and her blog is great too.  I use her seitan sausage recipe all the time.  It was the first recipe I used to make seitan and now I'm hooked.

Andee's Fashion Shows
 Post by JFIllustrations.

7 comments:

FireHorse3 said...

Hi Andee! Great to meet you and hear all about your creative life :)

thebluewindmill said...

Really fab post!!
Andee is so creative!

palafoxstudio23 said...

great to meet you andee! love your stuff tons!! thanks for sharing! : )

GiGi said...

Hi great to meet another EtsyVeg member. Great shop Andee. That star bag is awesome!

Lucy - Lunique Jewellery said...

Nice to 'meet' you Andee! You're lucky to have a bricks and mortar shop- I'd love that :-D but I'm sure it's very hard work!!

Kathryn Hansen said...

your cards are very funny!!

SilentLotus Creations said...

It's awesome to hear about you, Andee! Thanks for the glimpse into your life! :D