Monday, November 22, 2010

EtsyVeg Member Monday: Lucy from Lunique Jewellery



Meet Lucy, EtsyVeg Member, and Etsy shop owner of Lunique Jewellery
Lucy & Monty

This is what she had to tell us about her work, interests, and being a vegetarian...


Etsy is a unique blend of artists with many different creative styles and approaches.  What is your own "philosophy" or approach to creativity?
When I'm making something I always think 'would I wear this' (if it's jewellery) or 'would I like to have this in my home or receive it as a gift'? If the answer's yes I'll offer it to other people as I figure I can't be the only one who'd like it! And if the answer is no then that particular piece is dismantled and I can re-use the beads/fabric elsewhere!
                                               
                                         What do you sell in your Etsy shop? 
Lucy's Signature 
Swarovski Earrings
Mostly jewellery- necklaces, earrings and bracelets, but also cushion covers as I love to sew too. I'm currently working on a new (top secret) product range... watch this space!


What are your creative inspirations?
Usually nature- animals, plants, the elements... Ideas are constantly coming to me for new designs and colour combinations.

Clemmy, the Tortoise
 How did you get started creating?
I've been making things for as long as I can remember. I loved paper crafts, making models and sewing. I even took scissors and glue with me on holiday- once when I was about 7 we went to Majorca in the Balearic Islands and I constructed a tiny model of the harbour! I was very sad when we had to leave it there as we couldn't get it in the luggage to come home! 
A friend got me into jewellery-making a few years ago and I really enjoyed it. After finding Etsy I got even more into it!

How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict?  :)
I joined in spring 2009, and I am most definitely an addict! I spend a lot more than I make so it's quite a dangerous site! But there are so many talented artists and crafters, I just can't resist!

Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?
Postcard Lucy Received from Finland
I'm very interested in animals and conservation, and I'm an 'armchair activist' for charities like Born Free, RSPCA, WWF and WSPA. Apart from the many crafts I mentioned, my main hobby is Postcrossing- the postcard crossing project. It's a brilliant way to meet people from all over the world, make new friends and I now have a collection of some really beautiful postcards!

What other artistic tendencies do you have?  Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?
I do allsorts- card-making, decoupage, knitting, embroidery, cross-stitch, photography... But the one thing I'd really love to try is woodwork. I'd love to carve something from wood or make a little piece of furniture.


Is etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work? 
It's probably the main part, but I also do craft fairs and advertise locally. So far my main customers are family and friends!


What are your future plans for your shop/business?
I hope to grow my business and make a living from it, but that will all depend on my university work and my health so I'll just have to wait and see...
Monty, the cat, with Puffy & Diddy
How long have you been vegan/vegetarian?  How does being veg play into the rest of your life?
When I was about 3 I found out sausages were made of pig and stopped eating most meat, though I still had some chicken and fish. But I stopped eating all meat and fish when I was around 12.


What is the last recipe you made?  
I don't really like cooking meals but do like to bake cakes and cookies! I recently made Parkin (a traditional Yorkshire cake) for Bonfire Night, and a banana and chocolate chip cake.

What are your food vices or cravings?
Unfortunately my love of chocolate and cheese are stopping me from becoming vegan, though I've not ruled it out just yet!
 

What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?
The EtsyVeg blog of course! But Viva (Vegetarians International Voice for Animals) is a close second :-)

Photo by Lucy at a Local Beach


Posted by Julia of JFillustrations.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Great interview!

JFIllustrations said...

I think you got me hooked on postcrossing! I mailed my first batch :) It was lovely to get to know you better!

Heather said...

Very nice to get you know better, Lucy!! Nice to see Clemmy again too!

FireHorse3 said...

Hello Lucy! Nice to see you and your lovely pets. Julia x

Lucy - Lunique Jewellery said...

Thanks everyone :-) Might see you on Postcrossing then Julia! -x-