Monday, November 29, 2010

EtsyVeg Member Monday: Kathryn Hansen

Meet EtsyVeg member Kathryn from www.kathrynhansen.com
This is what she had to tell us...

Etsy is a unique blend of artists with many different creative styles and approaches.  What is your own "philosophy" or approach to creativity?
 Well, for me, I feel like I have no choice but to create…it’s such an integral part of who I am. I have  a very difficult time tho sticking to just one medium, as I need to express myself through many different avenues, such as drawing, photography, painting and collage. Not having a cohesive body of work makes it way more challenging to sell, but I am trying to figure out a way right now to bundle these different areas/interests in such a way as to make a very unique e-course down the road.  That’s my dream project, combining all these creative mediums along with a sprinkling of metaphysics and self-growth into PDF’s, then eventually an e-course and teaching!

What do you sell in your Etsy shop?
I have two Etsy shops: in one I sell hand-drawn animal portraits along with offering commissions so people can have their own pet or loved one celebrated in graphite! My other shop contains photographs of the San Gabriel Mountains and my travels to Africa.

What are your creative inspirations? 
 I find inspiration all around me and in a variety of different ways from quotes, to nature, to my animals, to just walking around and observing with my camera. A beautiful sunset or the way the light hits an object to seeing other artists work on line and in galleries. Plus I have an overflowing shelf of inspiring books and objects I’ve collected from nature or other artists.

Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?
 Yes…way too many! Hiking, reading, volunteering, going to the movies and theater, hanging with my two daughters, creating, being with friends and family.

Is etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work?
 Etsy is a part of my business, but you can get buried very fast these days on Etsy, so to rely solely on it is not a great business plan. I also get out into the public by participating in local art fairs, showing in galleries, I’m on ArtSlant and Myartspace,  I enter art competitions and I advertise.

How long have you been vegan/vegetarian?  How does being veg play into the rest of your life?
 I have been a vegetarian for 20 years now. I was a vegan for a short time but when I got pregnant with my first daughter all I craved was dairy and cheetos…so I had to give up being a vegan. I’ve never gone back to being a vegan because, well… I’m from WI, so I love me some cheese!!

I became a vegetarian for ethical reasons but I think it’s helped me in life to remain very healthy and to stay slim, especially as I am going through menopause now, where my metabolism has really slowed down.

What is the last recipe you made?  What are your food vices or cravings?
 My food vices are definitely chips or crackers…I love salty foods! But I find that if I don’t deny myself and just have a little every day, it’s really not a problem!

Posted by Julia of JFillustrations.

4 comments:

FireHorse3 said...

Hi Kathryn! Nice to know something about you and your work!

Heather said...

Hi Kathryn, nice to meet you!!

palafoxstudio23 said...

great to learn a bit more about you, kathryn! thanks for sharing!! : )

Kathryn Hansen said...

thanks everyone...it was fun doing the interview!!