Monday, November 8, 2010

EtsyVeg Member Monday: Julia From JFIllustrations

Meet Julia from JFillustrations. She is an EtsyVeg member with a passion for both science and art. This is what she had to tell us...

Etsy is a unique blend of artists with many different creative styles and approaches.  What is your own "philosophy" or approach to creativity?
I follow my passions and just do what comes to me at the time when I am working on a piece, jewelry or drawing. I have always been most passionate about science and wildlife, so my work is usually inspired in some way by one or the other.

What do you sell in your Etsy shop?
I mostly sell pendants on Etsy but also feature earrings, pet/wildife portraits, and photography/postcards (also by my husband).

What are your creative inspirations?
Nature, the ocean, wildlife, animals, and biology inspire me each and every day.  

How did you get started creating? 
I've been creating all my life. My mom still has artwork from before I could speak. I mostly drew dinosaurs back then though, haha Now I enjoy mostly drawing wildlife. I think the shapes and forms of all species and individuals within those species are beautiful and unique. I want to share this with everyone. I try to show this in my pendants as well.

What would you like to try to make, that you haven't already? What is your dream project?
I try to upcycle when I can, but I still don't have a great handle on sewing machines, haha...I would just love to create dresses and skirts for myself. On something that I can do, I'd love to do a wall size drawing inspired by one of my favorite songs "El Ave" by Cafe Tacuba. You can hear the song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWxp7GB6ynY
However, my biggest dream project would be to work as an illustrator for a book.

Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?
I am a scuba diver and enjoy anything nature related. My other passion is science...ecology more so, which I have worked in until very recently.

How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict? 
I discovered Etsy at the end of September. I like the set-up and being able to reach people interested in handmade items and unique creativity. I also like being able to be a part of a team like EtsyVeg and get to know other artisans that share my same passions.

Is Etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work?
Yes, Etsy is a large part. I am also part of a local market and work with local animal groups. Part of my goal is to help animal charities/sanctuaries through my artwork and also, make people happy (I said this during an art class when I was still in university and was frowned upon, lol but I really like to make people smile!!).

How long have you been vegan/vegetarian?  How does being veg play into the rest of your life?
I've been vegan for over 3 years and was vegetarian before that. My veganism plays a very large role in my life as it inspires me to be a better person in everything I do for both non-human animal and humanity's sake.  
What is the last recipe you made?  What are your food vices or cravings?
Just made green lentil soup - my husband's traditional German family recipe ;)
I am seriously addicted to vanilla soya lattes....I know..so bad but OoOh SoOo GoOd! :D

What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?
I have so many! Here are a few:


Websites/Stores:

Restaurants:
Loving Hut - International
Ethos Vegan Kitchen, Orlando, FL, USA
Cornucopia, Dublin, Ireland

Blogs:
Lots of interesting ones on Tumblr! They keep my reading quite interesting lol

6 comments:

FireHorse3 said...

Hello Julia! Nice to 'meet' you properly. Love the ethos behind you work: it shows in the beautiful end results!

Lucy - Lunique Jewellery said...

Great interview Julia! It's interesting how many EtsyVeg members are also into science (myself included)- there must be a link... :-)

Julie said...

Great interview, Julia! It's nice to learn more about you.

Aguavino said...

Nice article, Julia! I love that you like to draw dinosaurs when you were young -- I would say they counts as wildlife :)

JFIllustrations said...

Thank for your nice comments :) I'm glad to be able to share a bit about myself with you, and I look forward to getting to know a bit about you all also!

Lucy - that's interesting! I wonder if/what the connection could be... :)

Aguavino - yes, haha..I guess they do count as wildlife...I just tend to put them in a separate category since I could only learn about them and see them through books while I have had many great opportunities to get to know other wildlife up close and personal. Good point though ;)

SilentLotus Creations said...

So great to learn more about you! :)