Saturday, March 27, 2010

Yummy For Dogs!

There are few I can think of more appreciative of home cooking than a dog. I love watching my dogs dance in front of the oven, somehow knowing from the moment I start baking that the results are for them.



This, and the desire to give my dogs healthy, wholesome treats without mystery ingredients, is why I wrote Yummy for Dogs, a Cookbook for Canines, available at my etsy shop, Scrappy Rat Designs. It was my years of experience working in animal rescue that made me decide to donate all my profits from the sale of the book to charities that protect animals.



But, who doesn’t like to have a sample before they buy, right? Here’s one, endorsed by my dogs. Give it a try and let me know what your dogs think:
Carrot Maple Cranberry Crunchers.

2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
½ cup nutritional yeast
½ cup bran (Your choice of type. I prefer oat for texture and flavor, but wheat is less expensive.)
½ cup oil (Again, your choice. Olive is my typical go-to oil.)
¾ cup shredded carrots
¼ cup dried cranberries
½ cup maple syrup
¾ cup rice milk
¼ cup water

Combine flour, yeast, and brain in a large bowl. Stir in oil until crumbs form. Add carrots and cranberries and stir to mix. In a smaller bowl, whisk together syrup, rice milk, and water. Add to the dry ingredient mix and stir thoroughly. When a soft dough is formed, turn out onto a floured surface. If the dough is too sticky, knead in flour a little at a time until the dough is smooth and workable. Roll dough out with a rolling pin until the dough is about ½ inch thick. Cut into shapes with a metal cookie cutter. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 40 minutes or until firm to the touch.



--
Scrappy Rat Designs
http://scrappyrat.etsy.com
Your Animal Friendly Stationer

Visit my etsy shop and pick up your copy of Yummy for Dogs: A Cookbook for Canines. This month all proceeds go to Best Friends Animal Society!

10 comments:

Vegan Girl (Roni Seabury) said...

Very cute and happy dogs you have there! Thanks for sharing.

palafoxstudio23 said...

completely cute-thanks for the recipe! : ]

Jenn said...

Your doggie looks so excited! :)

mvegan said...

so great that you offer wholesome, veg friendly doggie treats helping animals! happy pup you have there! :)

Veganessa said...

that's one happy dog! lovely write up.

Julie Webb Photography said...

Cute doggie! What a great idea to make your own pup treats. :)

Julie said...

What a cute puppy! He's fortunate to have you to bake for him.

silentlotus creations said...

Great post, and what a cutie pup! Thanks for sharing the recipe, too! :D

Traveling said...

Please fix the link to your fantastic site yummyfordogs.org! Thanx!

pvccref said...
This comment has been removed by the author.