Thursday, March 11, 2010

Interview with GlueandGlitter

Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus Creations



Meet Becky of Etsy's Glue and Glitter
http://www.glueandglitter.com




Q. Etsy is a unique blend of artists with many different creative styles and approaches. What is your own "philosophy" or approach to creativity?

I'm very passionate about environmental issues and try to reflect that in my business. All of my products are made using recycled, revamped, repurposed, and organic materials wherever that's possible.

Q. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

My shop is focused on helping folks waste less and save money without sacrificing style. I'm a strong believer in small changes adding up to a big impact! I hope my Lunch Kits encourage folks to pack their lunches for work or school, the cupcake aprons make it fun to get in the kitchen and cook a meal, and that the Cup Gloves help them waste less paper in their day to day. I've also started selling Scrap Packs - fabric pieces that are too small for what I'm making but too nice to toss in the bin!

Q. What are your creative inspirations?

I'm inspired so much by cooking and by food. I spend quite a bit of time in the kitchen and do a lot of good thinking over the cutting board or mixing bowl. You can probably see that when you look at what I make.

Nature is also a really strong influence on everything I make. I love any color combination that reminds me of the woods, the garden, or walking outside on a sunny, spring day.

Q. How did you get started creating?

Creating has been in my blood since I was wee. My mom's a preschool teacher, and we used to do craft projects and whatnot basically all the time. My business name, "Glue and Glitter", is a nod to those crafty roots. I used to love making those glitter paintings where you draw with white glue, pour on copious amounts of glitter, then pour off the excess. The results always felt magical to me.

Q. What other artistic tendencies do you have? Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?

I sort of think of cooking as a craft, and I do it as often as I can. There's something so fun and challenging about staring at the pantry and turning what we've got into a meal. We also belong to a local
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) that delivers a surprise box of veggies each week, and I just love sorting through the basket and coming up with ways to cook up ingredients that I might not have chosen at the store on my own. So often, the results are delicious!

Q. What would you like to try to make, that you haven't already? What is your dream project?

I really want to learn how to screen print! There are a few idea that I've had for printed projects, and I've even got an old Gocco that just needs some parts and some love to get going!

Q. Is etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work?

I'd say it was a split between Etsy and local shops here in Atlanta. Craft markets are also a pretty big part of my business. There are a number here in town, and I'm looking into a few out of town shows this year, too!


Q. What are your future plans for your shop/business?

I'd love to expand to more shops, especially out of town! I'm planning to work hard on this in 2010.

Q. How long have you been vegan/vegetarian? How does being veg play into the rest of your life?

I've been vegetarian on and off for almost 15 years and finally made the leap to veganism about 4 or 5 years ago.

Q. What is the last recipe you made? What are your food vices or cravings?

The last thing I made was probably a veggie roast. The CSA has been rich with tasty root veggies lately, and I've been making a roast once a week. I love it, because once you've got a pan of roasted veggies in the fridge, there are basically infinite meals you can whip up quickly from there.

Oh, vices! I love vegan jerky, as gross as that sounds. I also use way too much Veganaise, but it's just so good!! Oh, and of course cupcakes! No vegan cupcake is safe in my house.

Q. What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?

Cosmo's Vegan Shoppe here in Atlanta totally rocks my socks! They carry all of the vegan junk food a girl could want, and the owners are some of the nicest folks I've met. Full disclosure: they also carry my Lunch Kits and Cupcaprons, but I'd love them even if they didn't. Before they came to town, it had literally been years since I'd had a doughnut. It's so much easier to eat vegan with a resource like that around.

Restaurant-wise, I love the Soul Vegetarian Kitchen. It's a fully vegan restaurant in the Poncy-Highland neighborhood, and every once in a while I like to treat myself to their killer mac and cheese.

It would be so hard to narrow my vegan website love down to just one! I actually posted a
Vegan Blogger Reading List on my site not too long ago with some of my favorite food blogs. Since then, of course, I've stumbled on a ton of other ones that are now in my regular reading rotation!


4 comments:

demandablog said...

What a cute shop! I love the blue cupcake apron!

palafoxstudio23 said...

great! love your stuff, it's all so pretty!!

FireHorse3 said...

Beautiful work and an interesting interview :D

Jewelry by Tara said...

Love the lunch kit, what a fab idea! Great shop, I will definitely be visiting soon.

T♥