Thursday, March 25, 2010

Interview: Pet of the Week!

This week's interview is with Julie from vegangurl.etsy.com

Etsyveg: Welcome Julie, please tell us all about your pet(s).

Julie: Lyndsay is a female dove who was born on April 27, 2008. As to breed, her father, Bailey, is a white dove and her mother, Ashton, is a ringneck dove. But she looks more like her father.

Etsyveg: Where/how did you come up with their name?

Julie: With doves it's hard to sex them so I give them unisex names.





Etsyveg: How did you meet your pet? Was she adopted, rescued or?

Julie: Lyndsay was a complete surprise. I've had doves for years. I was told with my first pair, Max and Miriya, that they couldn't have children being that one was a white dove and one was a ringneck dove. When they passed away, my parents got me another pair whom I named Jin and Bailey. Jin died after two years and I found a friend for Bailey, Ashton. Well, after 2 weeks together. Ashton laid eggs. One was cracked and Lyndsay came from the other. I let them have one more child, Riley, as a companion for Lyndsay, but it didn't work out. I found out she was a she when she started laying eggs.

Etsyveg: What are your pet’s favorite toys, foods, snacks, activities?

Julie: I have been holding Lyndsay since she was in her egg so she has bonded on me. Doves mate for life and even in absence of a mate they will bond on whoever is around. She loves to be held and kissed. Her favorite toy is a bell attached to mirror which she loves to rub her head on. Her favorite snack is peanut butter.


Etsyveg: What are some things you enjoy doing with your pet?


Julie: She sometimes like to sit on my shoulder (and sometimes my hands) and watch me knit. And she will snuggle up and watch TV with me.

Etsyveg: Do you take them to parks or to see people?

Julie: I am to afraid she'll get hurt to take her outside, but she does go out on my enclosed porch a few hours a day when the weather is nice. She is very nosey, so when new people come over she wants to see who they are.




Etsyveg: Does your pet have any special tricks or unique habits?

Julie: Just being spoiled.

Etsyveg: Awwww!!

Etsyveg: How does your pet like going to the vet?

Etsyveg: Do s/he *know* when it's time to see the vet & hide, or do they enjoy the extra attention?


Julie: She's only been to the vet once, but she didn't seem to mind.

Etsyveg: How do your family members get along with the pet?

Julie: Lyndsay gets along with everyone, but my niece. They are jealous of each other. My niece teases her and she chases my niece around the house and won't let her hold her.

Etsyveg: Maybe they will grow to love each other. :)

Julie: She loves attention but is cautious with people she doesn't know.

Etsyveg: Do you spoil your pet?

Julie: Definitely, but I am the boss.

Etsyveg: What's the most important/special thing your pet adds to your life?

Julie: Love. When I walk into the room she jumps up and begs me to talk to her and demands to be let out. If I am eating she tries to take the food right out of my mouth, which I don't let happen! If I talk to any other animals, even the fish she gets jealous. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Etsyveg: Julie, she sounds like a lovely Dove. Thanks so much for introducing us to her!

VEGAN GURL
www.vegangurl.etsy.com

9 comments:

Vegan Girl (Roni Seabury) said...

Oh she is beautiful. I like how her trick is just being spoiled. Love it!

palafoxstudio23 said...

what a beautiful dove-great interview! wonderful "seeing" you & your dove : ]

Scrappy Rat said...

I've always been partial to wild doves, and I've considered fostering domestic ones for rescue, but one of my dogs is a bit too obsessed with birds when we've tried fostering in the past, so we stick with helping out with rodents and the like. :) She's a gorgous girl and I love the pic of her looking into the camera. You can really see her curiosity and confidence in that shot. Sounds like she's a very happy bird!

Heather said...

My pets excell at spoiling too!! So wonderful. :)

Veganessa said...

cute!

Julie Webb Photography said...

Nice to meet you and your lovey dove. She's beautiful! :)

Julie said...

Thanks guys!

FireHorse3 said...

Kisses to Lyndsay - what a beautiful dove :D

Love, Luca said...

Aw, I love all birdies! Yours sound especially sweet, Julie! :)