Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wickedly Delicious Wednesday: Gluten Free Vegetarian Muffins

Brought to you today by Yvonne of Karramandi and Kakirra.

Today I made muffins.  Only instead of making them with wheat flour,  I made them with gluten-free flours.  This recipe has been adapted from Susan Reimer's book 'Muffins' which I love.

The Humble Muffin

7 oz rice flour
2 oz potato flour (potato starch)
1 oz tapioca flour or cornflour (cornstarch)
1 tsp xanthan gum
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
5 oz sugar
2 eggs
10 fl oz rice milk
3 fl oz olive oil

Method:
1.  Grease the muffin tins with a bit of oil or butter.  Preheat the oven to 375*F (190*C) Gas Mark 5.
2.  Sift all the dry ingredients together and mix well to ensure the xanthan gum is evenly combined.
3.  Crack the eggs into a separate bowl and whisk then add the rest of the wet ingredients.
4.  Pour all the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.  It will be lumpy but don't worry.  It should also be quite sloppy.
5.  Fill the muffin cups to 3/4 full and then place in the oven for 25 minutes.  When removed from the oven leave to cool for several minutes before attempting to remove the muffins from the cups.
6. Enjoy

You can add all sorts of things to this recipe eg chocolate chips, glace cherries, nuts etc.

Hope you enjoy them.

4 comments:

Veggiecrocker said...

Sounds great!

Lisa said...

Thanks for the recipe! I've been looking for a good gluten free muffin recipe. I think I'll make it Vegan. :)

Gina said...

These look great for my celiac friends! I wonder how they would be vegan, with a flaxseed mixture for the eggs?

Lisa said...

Gina, or maybe applesauce? I usually use that as an egg replacement in baking.