Saturday, February 27, 2010

Interview with Soapwalla Kitchen

Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus Creations




Meet Rachel of Etsy's Soapwalla Kitchen




Q. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

I sell vegan organic face and body products that I create in my apartment kitchen.


Q. How did you get started creating?

I started making these products out of sheer necessity. I have lupus, which is an autoimmune illness, and one of the symptoms is extreme skin sensitivity/rashes. One night, after trying virtually everything on the market that was labeled 'organic' or natural', I did a google search on holistic skincare remedies. The products I created (after a lot of trial and error) were the only things that calmed my skin. At that point, I realized if I needed these products this badly, others must, too.


Q. What other artistic tendencies do you have? Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?

I'm an artistic person by nature. I've played violin since I was 4 years old, and perform (mostly original compositions) in NYC regularly. I also have an avid ashtanga yoga practice, and I study circus arts--mainly static trapeze. I try to hang upside down every chance I get!


Q. Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?

I mentioned above that I practice ashtanga yoga. I spent several months in India studying both yoga and Ayurvedic medicine, which I incorporate into my skincare line. I feel strongly that my daily yoga practice keeps me healthy, sane, and also helps the creative juices flowing!


Q. How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict? :)

I'm completely an Etsy addict! I've been selling on Etsy since Dec 2009, but I've been a purchaser for much longer. I love seeing what other incredibly talented artists and artisans are creating on a daily basis, and I feel really lucky to be a part of such a beautiful movement.



Q. Is etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work?

Etsy is the majority of my business. I also sell at area craft markets (specifically the Makers Market in Brooklyn), and through word of mouth.


Q. What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?

I love the Bittersweet Vegan blog, and every time I'm visiting Seattle I MUST stop by Bamboo Garden in Queen Anne. It's hands down the best vegan chinese food I've ever had. If that place offered national delivery, I'd be in big trouble.

Rachel on the web:
Twitter
Website
Become a fan on Facebook
See more pics







2 comments:

FireHorse3 said...

Great interview, lovely products and sweet kitties - what more could you wish for? ;-)

Soapwalla Chef said...

thanks so much for posting my interview, etsyveg!