Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Wickedly Delicious Wednesday - Lentil & Mushroom Soup

Delicious Vegetarian and Vegan recipes brought to you by Yvonne of Karramandi and Kakirra

Thank you to Kylie for letting me start a new feature on the blog - Wickedly Delicious Wednesday.  I'll be posting a vegetarian or vegan recipe each week which I hope you will enjoy.

After all the talk of mushrooms this week being full of vitamins I decided to use a recipe my mom used to make when we were kids. It’s very easy and very cheap to make and the best bit is, it literally takes about 25 minutes to make from start to finish.


Lentil & Mushroom Soup

Serves 2 and is freezeable.

Ingredients:
4 oz red lentils, rinsed
1 large onion, chopped
1 large clove of garlic crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
4 oz mushrooms chopped
1 qt boiling water
1 tsp mixed herbs
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method:

1.  Gently cook the onions and garlic in the oil until soft.
2.  Add the chopped mushrooms to the pan and cook until soft.
3.  Add the lentils, herbs and boiling water to the pan.
4.  Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer gently until the water has all but been absorbed.
5.  Liquidize the soup and serve.
6.  Garnish with a mushroom, fresh parsley or a teaspoon of creme fraiche.

Notes: I don't use salt in cooking so I always leave it out. 

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. 

Yvonne

5 comments:

Kristen said...

That sounds really good! Thanks Yvonne!!

Heidi V said...

This is a great recipe for lent thank you!

Karramandi said...

Thank you :)

silentlotus creations said...

Sounds so delish! Thanks for sharing the yummies! :) :P

kimba said...

This is great~ I really NEED new vegan recipes :D I'll be keeping my eye on this feature!