Monday, December 21, 2009

PET of the WEEK: SCOUT of KneeDeepOriginals


Scout, named for the precocious character in To Kill a Mockingbird, was part of a trio of kitties that someone dropped off at the small neighborhood church where I used to work. The person had left a big box, for shelter, and an open bag of cat food in early December, 2003. I was not in the market for a cat; my husband said we should wait until we move to our home-to-be in a rural area, where we now live, but that was not what fate had in store. When I took one look at this sweet kitten running up and down the halls of our office, I knew she would be coming home with me that afternoon! (The other two kittens were also quickly adopted, and all are happy and well these days!)

Scout spent the rest of the day in my office, sitting in my lap, and when I left work, I took her straight to the vet for her shots and something strong enough to kill off the fleas who were having a field day on her small three-month-old body. Then we went to the grocery store where I bought the needed items for a new cat in the house, and on to our home. She stayed for the first few hours in the bathroom, cuddled up in the sink (!), so that I could slowly introduce her to our two dogs. It didn’t take long for her to make herself at home and become a happy family member. The dogs were inquisitive but accepted her quickly, as did my husband, I’m happy to say. Of course, there was not much he could do at that point.

Her first Christmas with us was much fun as she enjoyed the wrappings and the bows and sleeping, all nestled up, in whatever box was available. That was 6 years ago, and here she is at our current, and permanent, home, snuggled under the Christmas tree, looking right at home with the gifts.

Scout is a wonderful companion who likes to accompany me in the garden, on walks around the property, and one time she even walked around the mountain with me and the dogs! That is a very long walk for a cat, and she was pitifully worn out when we arrived home, about 40 minutes later. She didn’t even make it back into the house, choosing instead to succumb to exhaustion on the doggie deck in the back yard. Since then, I make sure she is in the house when I start off with the dogs, lest she be foolish enough to follow again!


Lately, as she ages, she has become much more of a snuggler. She was definitely her own independent self for the first several years, but now she enjoys cuddling every now and then, especially with Bruschi, our 90+ pound rescue dog.

And fortunately, while she still “hunts” outside in the woods, she is not quite as quick on her feet, so we don’t get nearly as many presents at the front door these days. She is more likely to be found sleeping on our bed or cat-napping in the sun on the deck!


Happy Holidays, everyone, from Rebecca and Scout!

10 comments:

Veggiecrocker said...

How could you not love such a beautiful face?

roughmagiccreations said...

What a beautiful cat Scout is! I've always admired your painting of her and really enjoyed reading her story here. Thank you for sharing her with us Rebecca!

Ginny Huber said...

Ditto re the painting and the photo! Scout is a beauty and it is great to know how she got her name

My Vegan World said...

They're both beautiful, thanks for sharing this with us.

Julie Webb Photography said...

Such a sweet looking cat. I love the story of her walking around the mountain with you! :)

Vegan Girl (Roni Seabury) said...

He is stunning. Oooh I just want to hold him <3

Penrose Designs said...

Scout is adorable! Thank you for sharing! I love cats and I just moved into a house with 2 - so blessed!

mvegan said...

awww, I am in love with this adorable kitty ;0) Love her name, story and snuggling w/the pup!!! ;0) give her a tummy rub and kiss on the head for me! Michele

silentlotus creations said...

Awwwwwww! Scout is beautiful! :D Thanks for sharing- what an awesome kitty!

FireHorse3 said...

What an adorable cat Scout is! So wonderful to hear her story and I love the pictures too: her fluffy fur looks so nice to cuddle up with.