Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Interview with MovetheNeedle

Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus

Meet Anna of Etsy's MovetheNeedle
http://mythreadofthought.blogspot.com




Q. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

I sell paper crafts such as journals, greeting cards, boxes and photo frames.

Q. What are your creative inspirations?

Seeing other people's art definitely inspires me, whether it's music, a painting or other crafts. I usually get inspired when I'm shopping for new decorative paper, and I'll get a bunch of ideas for new items.

I wanted to open a craft shop online, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to sell. I experimented with all sorts of crafts and found I like bookbinding the best. I taught myself more about making books and paper crafts by reading online tutorials and books.


Q. What other artistic tendencies do you have? Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?

I love doing all types of art. I'm taking a painting class right now that is a lot of fun. I've also gotten into photography more recently. There're all sorts of crafty and artsy projects I'd like to try.

Q. What would you like to try to make, that you haven't already? What is your dream project?

I've always wanted to try sewing my own clothes. I think it's really inspiring to see people selling or wearing clothes they designed themselves. As far as paper crafts, I'd love to learn new stitches in bookbinding. I usually do pretty basic stitches, but there're some pretty complicated ones that'd be fun to learn. I've also seen all types of creative books – in different shapes, pop out ones, etc. – so it'd be fun to experiment with that.

Q. Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?

Besides crafting, I love cooking, listening to music, writing, watching movies, running and reading.

Q. How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict? :)

I've been on Etsy for a little over a year, and I'd say I'm pretty much an Etsy addict. I was really addicted when I first got into it, but since I'm in college, I've learned how to balance schoolwork and the rest of my life with Etsy.


Q. Is etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work?

I sell mainly on Etsy, but I'm trying to get my work in other shops and on a couple of other sites. I also did my first craft show this summer, so I want to get more in to that.

Q. What are your future plans for your shop/business?


I just want to keep creating and developing items. I'd like to do craft shows more and try to get more exposure for my shop.

Q. How long have you been vegan/vegetarian? How does being veg play into the rest of your life?

I've been a vegetarian for about 8 years. I think being a vegetarian allows me to be more compassionate in other areas in my life. It has also led me to new opportunities. Since I became vegetarian, I developed a passion for cooking and love making my own food. I'm also living in a special interest house in my college this year called the Vegetarian House. I'm living with 3 other girls who are vegetarian, and we're trying to help support other students who are vegetarian or vegan on campus.

Q. What is the last recipe you made? What are your food vices or cravings?

I made tacos with mashed potatoes in them called Tacos Mon. They are so good. I love potatoes and Italian foods such as pasta and pizza. I'm also a chocolate addict.

Q. What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?

I usually shop at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. There's a local grocery shop in the town my college is called Market House that I volunteer at. They sell all organic and local food. I love listening to the
CompassionateCooks.com podcast. There is also a vegetarian community on LiveJournal I like to read.



1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Interesting interview! Thanks for sharing. Love her work and am impressed that she keeps up with all this while in college!