Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Interview With ItyBityBags

Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus

Meet Lisa of Etsy's Ity-bity Bags



Q. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

I sell mostly pouches, but through the years have added and subtracted from the shop. I think for the most part people visit my shop for the appliques. All of my appliques are handmade, no patterns or machine help. Its just me and a pair of scissors (I have the blisters to prove it!). Each one is cut free hand, so no two are exactly alike.

Q. What are your creative inspirations?

I am inspired by so many things I don't know for sure if I could point to just one thing. I have my favorite artist (Schiele to Ryden), books (Fairy tales to anatomy books), cartoons (Hello kitty to Flap Jack). Sometimes it is more imagination driven. I will remember something from my childhood, or I see tree bark that looks like it has a face. Really in my crazy brain anything can spark some creativity.

Q. What other artistic tendencies do you have? Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?

Well to tell you the truth I am a painter/ sculptor. I graduated with a degree in fine art and minored in film and anthropology. Weird I know. Most of my art career consisted of a concentration on figural and anatomical paintings, clay, and mixed media sculptures. That is totally opposite from what I do now- or maybe not opposite, but a stray from what I am use to as far as style. I still would love to someday have my own ceramic studio, and sculpt again.


Q. How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict?

I have been on Etsy since March 2007, so I am coming up on my 3-year anniversary. Am I an Etsy addict? Well I will ask you this, does any addict have to have a hit first thing when they wake up?

Q. What are your future plans for your shop/business?

I plan to stay the course with my Etsy shop. It is a great place to be found, I love the community, and my loyal customers know where to fine me. Every year I make an effort to re-vamp my shop and improve on my brand and product, and I think this works for me.

As far as my business life as a whole, I just opened a brick and mortar shop called "Bento" in my home town. It is my little piece of Etsy for the masses. I enjoy showcasing other wonderful artists' and crafters' work and opening peoples eyes to the wonderful world of handmade!

So I hope for much success and growth with in the coming years *crosses fingers*

2 comments:

Debra said...

Your stuff is soooo cute!

JulieWebb Photography+Design said...

Great interview! Your new store looks amazing Lisa, you've obviously worked very hard pulling it all together. Well done! :)