Saturday, September 12, 2009

Interview with LaViejaTunTun

Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus

Meet Yajaira of Etsy's LaViejaTunTun





Q. How did you get started creating?

I’ve been interested in creating and crafts for as long as I can remember. At a very young age I would visit flea markets and thrift stores in search of anything that I could up-cycle and reuse. At times I would find the perfect missing item for a jewelry piece already started or a fabric that would inspire me to create something new.

Q. What other artistic tendencies do you have? Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?

I’m always working on multiple projects. And, when it comes to crafts, I’ll give everything and anything a try. Apart from the items you see in my Etsy shop, I’ve attempted, with some degree of success, soap making, knitting, crocheting, tatting, paper making, book binding, sewing, and recently I reupholstered a chair that I found. I would consider my ultimate goal in terms of crafts to begin designing and making my own vegetarian shoes.



Q. How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict? :)

Although I had been browsing the Etsy pages since 2006, I didn’t open my own account until March of this year. My initial posting consisted of ten items, but now I try to maintain an average of fifty items in my shop at all times. I spend most of my free time either buying materials for my projects, working on my projects, or browsing various Etsy artists finding items that would fit my treasuries. In other words, yes, I do consider myself an Etsy addict!

Q. How long have you been vegan/vegetarian? How does being veg play into your life?

I was an ovo-lacto vegetarian for approximately 11 years before I decided to go vegan 8 years ago. Although I’ve never found it difficult to be vegetarian/vegan, I must admit that there are two factors in my life that make it even easier for me. Firstly, my boyfriend of 10 years is also vegan. And secondly, I live in San Francisco!



Being vegan and loving all things having to do with animals has taken my relationship with my pets to a level akin to that of a mother and child. Right now I have two children: Piña, a five-year old Red Ear Slider turtle and Peanut, a two year-old white and black shorthaired breed cat.

Q. What is the last recipe you made? What are your food vices or cravings?

Too many to list them all! On the rare occasion that my sweet tooth needs to be sated, a trip to Maggie Mudd's ice cream parlor is a must! But, for the most part I prefer my meals with a little bit of a kick as opposed to sweet. I’ll always find something to satisfy my cravings with Thai, Indian or my favorite, Mexican cuisine. I love cooking, and one of my most recent additions to my recipe book is “Enchiladas con Crema de Chile”. I thought it would be nice to share it with you. Enjoy!



Enchiladas con Crema de Chile

Sauce

- 4 Chiles (Poblano or Pasilla)
- 3 tbsp of vegan butter
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of frozen or fresh peas
- 1 tbsp of veggie broth (powder)
- 1 ½ cups of soy milk
- 3 tbsp of tofutti cream cheese


Preparation:

Wrap garlic cloves in foil. Add chiles and garlic into oven and set to
broil. Roast the peppers for about 7 minutes, turn then roast an additional
7 minutes or until the skins blister. Watch carefully so they do not
burn. Cover
roasted chiles with cloth or place in a paper bag. Allow them to sweat for
about 15 minutes. Peel the chiles then remove the seeds and slice. Dice
garlic.

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat add garlic and sauté for about 3
minutes, add peas, roasted chiles, tofutti and veggie broth and mix for 3
minutes. Stir in the soymilk and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Allow to cool
for a bit then place mixture in a blender to puree. Add salt to taste.


Enchiladas

- 8 Corn Tortillas
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 bell pepper (red, green, or yellow) diced
- 1 1/2 avocados diced
- 1-½ cups of meat substitute (tofu, seitan, vegan shrimp... endless
possibilities…)
- ½ tomato diced
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 cup of sauce that you have just prepared


Preparation:

Mix diced avocados and ¼ of the diced onion in a bowl. Add salt to taste and
refrigerate for later.

In a skillet sauté the remaining diced onion with olive oil until
transparent, add in bell peppers, tomato and meat substitute sauté for
another 5 or 6 minutes. Add in ½ cup of sauce and let it simmer for 3
minutes.

Heat canola oil in a small skillet. Add 1/2 cup of sauce in a bowl. Using
tongs dip tortilla into hot oil and then drop into bowl with sauce. Repeat
this until all tortillas are in the bowl with sauce.

Now it’s time to wrap your enchiladas!! Add 1 spoonful of avocado mix and 2
spoonfuls of sautéed mixture, and then roll. Once done wrapping all
enchiladas cover them with remaining sauce.


5 comments:

demandablog said...

Oh my gosh, how pretty! I've been making flowers like this for my wedding and they look SO gorgeous with the pearls inside. :)

auclairdelalune: recycled fabrics for human and habitat said...

Nice to meet you! Can't wait to try the recipe :-)
Adrienne

FireHorse3 said...

Loved this interview - beautiful necklaces, great recipe and lovely fur and shell babies! :D

Heather said...

Lovely items!! Thanks for the recipe, sounds great!! XOXO :)

melis731 said...

Your Etsy shop has such beautiful items!