Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Interview with PalafoxStudio23

Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus

Meet Valerie of Etsy's PalafoxStudio23



Vibrant beaded and glass jewels in a kaleidoscope of colors; earth-friendly; inspired; exuding a passionate zest for life- Valeries' shop is a feast for the eyes, spirit, and the concscience! :)

Q. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

I sell handmade, arty, colorful jewelry that incorporates a bit of upcycled/recycled material.

Q. What are your creative inspirations?

My pets, my neice and nephews, and nature. Being around my pets and family or just taking a little walk around outside does tons for me.

Q. How did you get started creating?

I’m a person who needs something to do all of the time (workaholic), so I started making gifts for family and friends in the evenings after dinner. A piece here, a piece there, and it just became an addiction as time went on. Plus, I love to create (anything), so that adds to the addiction as well.

Q. What other artistic tendencies do you have? Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?


Gosh, let’s see...ummm, I can play just about any percussion instrument. I was in a great band for about 5 years, but I loathe performing live!! If I could just be a studio musician, I’d be all about it. As far as other things... I make mobiles/suncatchers, which are actually my favorite things to create. (I don't have them on etsy yet, because I can't figure out how to photograph them.) I started making jewelry because, while doing markets and shows, I needed filler for the mobiles. I also dabble in tile & glass mosaics.

Q. What would you like to try to make, that you haven't already? What is your dream project?

I’d like to start doing some soldering... I own a jewelers torch and have a great set up for it, but I’m a phobic freak and am intimidated by my torch. So, for now, it’s something for the future.

Q. Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?

I could not possibly live my life without music & books. I also love growing flowers and having a vegetable garden.

Q. How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict? :)

It’ll be 2 years in October since i joined etsy. I don’t know if I’d call myself an addict, but it’s close!


Q. Is etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work?

Etsy isn’t a huge part of my business, though I’d like it to be. I’m not as internet savvy as I feel I should be for that to be possible... but one day. Outside of Etsy, I have pieces in two local storefronts and two art galleries, and I vend at occasional shows/markets. So really, most of my marketing involves meeting the public.

Q. How long have you been vegan/vegetarian? How does being veg play into the rest of your life?

I’m going on my tenth year of being vegetarian, tho’ i was vegan the first few years. For me, being vegetarian puts me more in tune with my body & surroundings. I am lots more aware of the abuse animals suffer, especially since I live in the middle of factory farm country.


Q. What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?


We have a great food co-op here that I love... This time of year there are also tons of really great farmer’s markets, so I’m able to pick up lots of fruits & veggies that I don’t grow myself.



4 comments:

Heather said...

Nice to get to know you more, Valerie!! Great stuff in your shop. Love your furry friends too, they look so sweet. XOXO Heather :)

Rebecca at KneeDeepOriginals said...

Great interview! It's always fun to learn about the artists who create such beautiful pieces! I love your work, Valerie, and admire your talent. And those pups are soooo cute!

palafoxstudio23 said...

thanks heather & rebecca!! those pups are cute & sweet!! XOXO

JulieWebb Photography+Design said...

Lovely to know more about you Valerie! :)