Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Veggie Pride Parade, NYC


Sunday was the second annual Veggie Pride Parade. I did not attend last year's parade, and I'm generally pretty quiet about my veganism. Part of this is that I'm kind of shy, and part is that I want people to realize that being veg*an does not mean your entire life revolves around it. Instead, it can mean cupcakes as fluffy and delicious as any you've ever known.

That said, I thought I'd check out the parade this year, so my fellow EtsyVeg members chipped in to pay for lots of team stickers for me to pass out. Passing out stickers in a crowd of strangers is not new to me. Agreeing to do just that is how I earned myself a free ride to the inauguration on a bus provided by Meetup.com. In that instance, however, I was with a group of other people doing the same. This time it felt a little awkward, especially since anyone I might have asked to accompany me was conveniently out of town for the weekend.

Alone I went to the parade route, stopping off first at S'nice to add some team postcards to the literature on the counter. I was all about EtsyVeg! Then I joined the group marching from the West Village to Union Square. It wasn't a huge crowd (the annual AIDS walk was happening uptown at the same time, and sky looked like it was waiting to rain), but it was loud and it was friendly.

When we got to the end, there were tents and table set up with literature and free samples of vegan goodies. I quickly rushed over to the vegan pizza table and scarfed some down, then grabbed a couple of coconut waters and two kinds of veggie jerky. I saw a few people with what looked like vegan carrot cake, but the source must have dried up before I was able to find it.

The crowd grew larger and I succeeded in giving out every EtsyVeg sticker I'd brought with me.


Thanks to all the EtsyVeggies who chipped in for stickers. Here's hoping more New Yorkers find your wonderful wares because of it!
--Ashley
www.nycrochet.etsy.com
www.nycrochet.blogspot.com

7 comments:

silentlotuscreations said...

This is terrific, Ashley! Thanks for sharing it with us! :D

Heather said...

Thanks Ashley! Love it! Maybe next year I will be able to go with you! --Heather :)

FireHorse3 said...

Thanks for promoting the team, Ashley :D

annada said...

That sounds awesome! :) Thanks for passing out the stickers!
~Annada

purplecat said...

Wow well done Ashley, I bet it was a great experience :0

ShabbyNChic said...

Thanks for sharing this event - we have nothing like this where I live.

JulieWebb Photography+Design said...

Go Ashley! :)