Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Interview with steel

Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus

Meet Ela of Etsy's steel




Offbeat and quirky, surreal and imaginative, intelligent and perceptive. Unforgettable art that is filled with fantastic, dream-like images that are both thrilling and opiating. In Ela's words, her work offers us a "teensy peek inside the theme park of my brain." Check it out for yourself, and meet the woman behind the art...


Q. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

Right now I sell mainly pendants and other jewelry (rings, earrings) made from prints of my strange artwork. I also sell original watercolor pendants. There are other goodies there, too, like original paintings, prints sometimes, magnets, and freebies.


Q. What are your creative inspirations?

I'm really inspired by insects, corsetry, and the female figure. I like to shift reality and blend all three of these things together as a way of exploring perceptions of beauty, emotional trials, and exploitation.

Q. How did you get started creating?

I've basically always liked drawing, and I used to pretend I was an artist when I was a little kid. I would draw really fast even if it didn't turn out well because 'that's what artists' do. As I got older, I had a lot of interest in animation and graphic design, but that eventually evolved into an interest in painting and fine art, which is what I ended up going to school for.

Q. What other artistic tendencies do you have? Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?

I like to try pretty much everything artsy. In the past two years I've taught myself to play piano and guitar, and I knit, sew, do photography, and lots of other things.

Q. What would you like to try to make, that you haven't already? What is your dream project?

On my list to learn is glass blowing and lampwork.

Q. Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?

I think I've listed most of them! But I also really like to travel all over the world. And garden.

Q. How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict? :)

I think I "officially" signed up to Etsy in 2006, but only since January '09 have I really been using my shop.

Q. What are your future plans for your shop/business?

I want to keep finding new and interesting ways to bring my art to a larger audience.

Q. How long have you been vegan/vegetarian? How does being veg play into the rest of your life?

I've been vegetarian with "high vegan leanings" for 5 years. I'm not 100% vegan, but I try to avoid animal products as much as I can, both when it comes to food and the day to day products I use. Honestly it's just become normal everyday life for me. I don't think about it much. I've certainly tried a lot of new foods that I never would have had before, which I love!

Q. What is the last recipe you made? What are your food vices or cravings?

Hmm. Oh! I made tempeh stroganoff. I adapted it from a chicken stroganoff recipe. People don't realize how easy it can be to veganize recipes sometimes. I have maybe three veg/vegan/raw cookbooks, but the rest are omni or my family's recipes and I just adapt them. Even my grandma's meatloaf is easy to adapt with lentils and brown rice. :D

As for cravings - yeah. My total weakness is bread.



Next week, meet Jenifer of lovebugknits!

2 comments:

Demanda said...

Oh, I love elasteel!! She's the best, most talented person in the universe. What a great pick for the feature! :D Gooooo, Pam!

FireHorse3 said...

Wonderful artwork - so unique!