Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Interview with ShabbynChic


Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus

Meet Jody of Etsy's ShabbyNChic





Finding and revealing the beauty and femininity often hidden by the age and condition of the vintage and antique pieces Jody finds is her specialty. She transforms relics of the past into both decorative and practical pieces with modern relevance and allure, while producing new creations with the same irresistible charm. Jody has filled her shop with unique works that are sure to tempt...


Q. Etsy is a unique blend of artists with many different creative styles and approaches. What is your own "philosophy" or approach to creativity?

I make what I like because that is what speaks to me and what I enjoy. I just love the feeling I get from "loved" pieces: vintage, antique... I especially love feminine pieces. I know that not everyone has the same taste as I do, so I do try to branch out, which I usually do with color. I have 2 small children, so I do tend to make some things that I would not have in my home for fear it would break or be ruined.

Q. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

I sell mostly shabby chic "stuff" - vintage, home decor, cards, and some supplies.

Q. What are your creative inspirations?

I love going to antique shops and getting inspiration there.

Q. How did you get started creating?

I started painting wood wall shelves from craft stores as a child, and just recently started painting and creating again as my "me time".

Q. What other artistic tendencies do you have? Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?

I also do larger furniture pieces (e.g. tables, chairs), but sell those only locally because of the extremely high cost for shipping such items.

Q. What would you like to try to make, that you haven't already? What is your dream project?

Something with more paint detail- really colorful! I am a little scared of color. And I want to try decoupauge. I already have some projects lined up, but need to find the time to do them.

Q. Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?

Other than what I make for Etsy, I also love gardening, which only happens about 4-5 months a year where I live (Oregon). My passions are education (my work) and my children.

Q. How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict? :)

I have been on Etsy since late Dec. '08 (newbie), but I have shopped there since a couple of years ago. Because of Etsy I am now addicted to my craft, but it is also my stress reliever, so that makes it okay.

Q. Is etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work?

Right now it is. I do sell larger items locally currently. I just started selling some of my work at a local handmade store, and may start selling in another local retail store soon - waiting for them to sign the lease.

Q. What are your future plans for your shop/business?

In addition to selling in local stores, I would like my Etsy business to grow- a little at a time. Because I work in education, I have very busy times and very slow times. So I would like to be a little busier with my shop, but not overwhelmed.

Q. How long have you been vegan/vegetarian? How does being veg play into the rest of your life?

I have been vegetarian for 20 years and it is a HUGE part of who I am. I am raising my children to be vegetarian. For me it is a moral issue, and I get questioned on it a lot! I think having your morals questioned and attacked is unfortunate, but can make you a very strong person and make you stronger in your beliefs. This is something I am passing on to my children.

Q. What is the last recipe you made? What are your food vices or cravings?

I make a really good Mexican lasagna (tortillas, cheddar cheese, vegies, beans, tomato sauce, herbs, and cottage cheese). I love chocolate and really almost anything sugary.

Q. What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?

Not a lot where I live. We have a Trader Joe's about an hour away, and the nearest vegetarian restaurant I know of is about 50 minutes away.

1 comment:

FireHorse3 said...

You have great taste! I love your Shabby Chic pieces - very beautiful. :D