Monday, April 6, 2009

Interview with LulubugJewelry

Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus

Meet Sue of Etsy's lulubugjewelry



From the time I first saw Sue's work when she joined the team, I was entranced and charmed by her striking jewelry. Her beautiful and unforgettable pieces are life- and nature-infused, and of exquisite detail, vivid colors, and a whimsical and vibrant energy.


Q. Etsy is a unique blend of artists with many different creative styles and approaches. What is your own "philosophy" or approach to creativity?

I'm inspired by nature, so I'm always looking around me at images of plants, animals etc. Sometimes I have an idea and spend a long time researching and sketching before I make it, and other times an idea pops into my head and I just sit down and do it. I like it when that happens!

Q. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

I sell silver jewelry which is made from Precious Metal Clay, which is pure silver in clay form that is fired in a kiln. It's made from silver that has been reclaimed from manufacturing, so it's a green product.


Q. What are your creative inspirations?

Mainly plants and animals.

Q. How did you get started creating?

I've been into art, and went to art school. I discovered jewelry making after college, and got so in to it that I was employed for 10 years making other peoples stuff. I got out of doing my own work at this time, and only got back into it a year and a half ago when I took a metal clay workshop.


Q. What other artistic tendencies do you have? Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?

If I had more time there are so many things I would like to try! Right now I've got my eye on polymer clay, using it where I now use tinted concrete.

Q. Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?

For the last seven years, my all consuming hobby was road racing motorcycles. That means on a twisty paved race track (not dirt), racing against men. It is very fun, but also dangerous and outrageously expensive. I decided to hang it up for awhile and focus on my business, a choice I do not regret. I also have 3 dogs, 3 cats and 4 birds.

Q. How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict?

I started selling last August, and yes, I am an Etsy addict!

Q. Is etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work?


It's currently the only place I market my work - once I have more time I hope to expand, but Etsy keeps me really busy!

Q. What are your future plans for your shop/business?

QUIT MY DAY JOB! I hope to do that long before xmas, so I can make more stuff and broaden my selling horizons.

Q. How long have you been vegan/vegetarian? How does being veg play into the rest of your life?


I've been a vegetarian since 1985 or so. I used to be quite vocal about it, but as I've gotten older I've realized that leading by example can also be an effective route to getting the message across.

Q. What is the last recipe you made?

I used to cook all the time, but I've been so busy that I just haven't had the energy lately. I did just get ingredients to make a very yummy Asian inspired cabbage salad though, and I'm hoping the nice weather we're having will inspire me to fire up my veggie-only grill soon.



4 comments:

Lo Christine said...

Love her shop!!

Laura Bucci said...

Beautiful work!

PolymerClayTutor said...

Loved seeing Sue's purple fingers. Now that is a sign of a true artist!

Love to see what she does with polymer clay. After all it is my true love! ~Cindy Lietz

JulieWebb Photography+Design said...

I love your work Sue! Good luck on quitting your day job by Christmas! :)