Monday, April 13, 2009

Interview with eccentricityinc

Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus

Meet Christy of Etsy's eccentricityinc




Christy's one-of-a-kind accessories are screamingly unique, rebelliously chic, fabulously fun, and wonderfully- yes- eccentric!



Q. Etsy is a unique blend of artists with many different creative styles and approaches. What is your own "philosophy" or approach to creativity?

Make something you love and then improve on it. Always ask for criticism but take it with a grain of salt.

Q. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

I sell hand made duct tape "Couture"- duct tape accessories that don't really look like duct tape, and are more durable and weather proof than any ol' bag.

Q. What are your creative inspirations?

Music has always been the biggest influence in my life.
Incubus is, by far, my favorite band but I listen to every genre of music I can get my grubby little hands on.

Q. How did you get started creating?

About six years ago I needed a wallet, but I'm insanely picky about what I want. I wanted a certain number of pockets, and I wanted it to be abnormal looking so I wouldn't lose it and so no one could steal it and claim it was theirs. I ended up making a bright red wallet with a "Hello My Name is" Sticker on it. (It's lasted through 6 years of mosh pits, back pockets, and vacations.) My friends took notice, and immediately wanted me to make something for them. My friend Lindsey was the first to ask for a purse, which turned out a little rough. After I got it down, though, I realized it was a cheap way to keep up with my increasing purse fetish.


Q. What other artistic tendencies do you have? Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?

I enjoy writing and dancing. Every great once and while I've been known to scrapbook as well.

Q. What would you like to try to make, that you haven't already? What is your dream project?

Have you ever seen
Richard Avedon's solarized images of the Beatles? (If you haven't, Google it!) That's my next big project. I don't think I'll end up selling them though. I'll probably just make them to hang up in my room.


Q. How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict? :)

I've been on Etsy since last October; however, I didn't actually add anything to my shop or really get into it until after Christmas. I love Etsy's community. My fellow Etsians are insanely crafty folk, and seeing their work inspires me to make my own. :)


Q. Is etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work?

Right now Etsy isn't my main selling outlet. I'm working more on getting into consignment stores and craft fairs here in Salt Lake City.

Q. How long have you been vegan/vegetarian? How does being veg play into the rest of your life?

I've been vegetarian for six years, and I went vegan five months ago. Being vegan is fun and sort of frustrating at the same time. When I was vegetarian my family was okay with it. Then, when I went vegan, my family had a sort of backlash against it. I went vegan right before Thanksgiving, and because I was vegan, I had made my own
Tofurkey and vegan cheesecake (which was SOOOOO good!) I offered some to my family, who are generally open-minded individuals, and they looked at it disgustedly and proceeded to tell me that they thought I was insane and had no taste buds.

Q. What is the last recipe you made? What are your food vices or cravings?

Last night I made rice pilaf with artichokes, sun dried tomatoes, and olives with a splash of balsamic vinegarette. I had wanted to include asparagus, but it had turned slimey.

Lately my biggest craving is Macaroni and Cheese. I loved the Stouffer's oven cooked macaroni and cheese- it was my guilty pleasure, and I have yet to find a comparable substitute.

Q. What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?

There's a chinese restaurant down in Provo, Utah called Rice King. They have two menus, one for omnivores and one for vegans/vegetarians. They make the best vegan food I've ever tasted, and the best part is is that's cheap! It's about $10 a person including a drink(soda) and an appetizer. My favorites are their sesame tofu, chicken broccoli soy, and szechuan pork soy. If I had the money I would literally eat there everyday.


4 comments:

Laura Bucci said...

I like your work Christie. I like how unique your stuff is. Fun answers to the questions too!

Heather said...

I enjoyed this interview. I love duct tape. I think this is a great idea, and a way to get a durable product. Awesome & a fun read too!

--Heather :)

Eccentricity Inc said...

Thanks Laura and Heather :)

JulieWebb Photography+Design said...

Interesting work Christy and also nice to learn more about you. :)