Sunday, March 1, 2009

Creative Challenge for March!

Did you know March is National Craft Month? Well, according to the National Craft Association it is! This crafty month I have a creative challenge for my fellow etsy-veggers. We're all multi-talented and I want to draw on this. For those of you who can crochet and/or knit I came across a great opportunity to do good for others, craft, and destash your yarn all at once!

Knit-a-square.com is linked to the Soweto Comfort Club. They collect 8"x8" squares from all over the world and assemble them into blankets for children.

From their site: "There is a great deal of poverty and suffering in many parts of Africa - many elderly people are just as cold, helpless and hungry. This knitting project has as its first goal to supply a blanket for every child in need in the Phiri Parish. From there, we hope to expand to the rest of Soweto, then to nearby squatter camps, and beyond, in South Africa, Zimbabwe and the rest of Africa."

Instructions are on the Knit-a-Square website, as well as types of yarn to be used. They prefer wool but will also accept acrylic, bamboo, etc. Most important for them if you send a square to make sure the gauge is correct so they can assemble the blankets.

My challenge to those of you who accept (including me!) is to make 4 squares to send this month. That's only one square per week. If you can make more that's great! Please respond to the thread if you want to join me and visit www.knit-a-square.com for more details.

Cheers and Happy Crafting!

Jennifer

prettyhaute.etsy.com

2 comments:

T.Allen-Mercado said...

That's a great challenge. Unfortunately I am of the yarn-impaired, but I'm cheering all of my fellow Etsy-Veg'ers on from the sidelines!

Four Cats and One Girl said...

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that in the discussion forums I posted video tutorials on knitting. :)