Thursday, March 5, 2009

Interview with LeArmoire

Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus

Meet Nadiah of Etsy's LeArmoire





'LeArmoire' is a shop that's hard to leave, filled with creations that are sweet and fun, uber feminine and strong, with bold statements, a punk attitude, and intellegence and wit! Despite being the youngest member of our team (you'd never guess, though), it's obvious that Nadiah knows exactly who she is, and her creations and fresh energy make me want to stay around to share in that and get to know more about her. :)

Q. Etsy is a unique blend of artists with many different creative styles and approaches. What is your own "philosophy" or approach to creativity?

I think creating something that I love personally is the most important thing. I think if I put a lot of effort and creativity into an item, chances are someone will see what I saw while creating it, and love it for all the reasons I do.



Q. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?


I sell a lot of things, mainly knit and crocheted items, but you can find a few sewn things as well. I make everything from fingerless gloves, to plush toys, to iPod cozies and wristbands.

Q. What are your creative inspirations?

A lot of my inspiration comes from music, actually. I adore music, I'm never without it. I love 90s rock, and my iPod is my absolute best friend! Other than my guitar of course!

Q. How did you get started creating?

My mother sat me down on some steps in our house when I was 8 years old (I am currently 16), and she taught me to knit. After I produced my first dishcloth (it wasn't so much a dishcloth as it was a big hole with knitted edges), I never looked back. From there I learned how to crochet, and I made a lot of horribly ugly things doing that as well. But I never really stopped, and it only kept improving as time went by.

Q. What other artistic tendencies do you have? Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?


Oh yes-I love photography, I am constantly on Flickr, and I'm involved with projects there. I love to paint, write, and draw. I'm something of a musician, also. I play the guitar- needless to say, I have big rockstar dreams. Big rockstar Etsy dreams, that is.

Q. What would you like to try to make, that you haven't already? What is your dream project?


Uh oh. There're too many things...I guess I would like to make things out of resin. I have a big thing of it, but I have failed miserably everytime I try to make something with it. I am currently becoming more and more obsessed with mixed media and bookmaking. I would love to get better at painting, and I want to make a really cool jewelry box. And I want to build my own guitar!

Q. Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?

I like to cook, but I rarely have time for it with all the Etsy-ing going on around here. (Is that really an excuse to not cook?) I enjoy updating my blog, hanging out on Flickr, and Etsy. I pop into Etsy chat from time to time. Owning my own Etsy business is one of the best things I've ever done. I love my guitar, and music- those are definitely passions. I love writing down random things in spiral notebooks and coming up with new ideas for my Etsy shop.

Q. How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict? :)

I have been on Etsy since April 2008, and I have been a seller since May. Am I an Etsy addict? Are you kidding? I am an Etsyholic. I need an intervention. This is probably a cry for help.

Q. Is etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work?

Etsy IS my business! I market through Etsy chat and forums, Flickr, my blog, Twitter, Deviantart, and anything else thats fun like that.

Q. What are your future plans for your shop/business?

I really want to go wherever I'm taken, basically. I want my shop to stay unique, always handmade, and to offer quality items and excellent customer service. No matter how big or small my business gets, those are the principles I will stand by.


Q. How long have you been vegan/vegetarian? How does being veg play into the rest of your life?


I am actually new to this-I've been a vegetarian since January 24th, 2009. It's been very easy for me so far, and I've been extremely happy with this lifestyle choice. I grew tired of the meat industry and all of the awful things I kept hearing. I just decided, "why wait any longer?" I don't plan on looking back- I really love being a vegetarian, so I couldn't be happier!

Q. What is the last recipe you made? What are your food vices or cravings?

The last recipe I made...yesterday I had tofu dogs, and the day before I had some Morningstar Farms "Chik" patties. (I LOVE those!) I'm all for the quick and easy foods, because I'm always busy. But a recipe I do love is an Indian rice/lentil dish called Dal (Dahl). It's got a ton of flavor, it's totally vegan, and it's so good for you!

Q. What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?

I love shopping at health food stores, or at the healthfood section at the grocery store. I am always on the EtsyVeg blog- there're a lot of resources for the Vegan/Vegetarian lifestyle there, and lots of Etsy stuff too!




1 comment:

panda with cookie said...

It's nice to meet you!