Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Interview with KrugsEcoLogic

Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus

Meet Erin of Etsy's KrugsEcoLogic




Erin creates lusciously nurturing, skin-nourishing, body-loving bath and body products that could easily create an addiction! And part of their immense appeal is that each product is crafted using vegan, natural, pure, and earth-friendly ingredients and processes that result in luxurious soaps, creams, scrubs, butters, balms, fizzes, and other skin delights that are almost good enough to eat!



Q. Etsy is a unique blend of artists with many different creative styles and approaches. What is your own "philosophy" or approach to creativity?

First and foremost, I make sure my ingredient choices are ecologically appropriate. I use only high quality natural butters, oils and essential oils. I take great care in making my business as waste-free and eco-friendly as possible.

Q. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

Soap, body butter, lotions, balms, bath salts, facial masks... spa items :)

Q. What are your creative inspirations?

Wow... that's a great question. I have never ever thought of myself as creative at all. I'm more of a geek/science nerd so I stick with what I know ;) The Bath and Body biz requires a unique blend of science and art, so I just rely on what I like and what appeals to me. If others dig it, then AWESOME!

Q. How did you get started creating?

I began starting to 'green' my home (no more toxic cleaners, soaps, etc.), and I needed to find something to help both of my children with their super-sensitive skin. I majored in biology (and only one class shy of a chem major) and taught science for years before staying at home with the kids - so this is already a comfortable niche for me. The business just seemed to fall into place.

Q. What other artistic tendencies do you have? Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?


Oh my gosh... nothing. My brain is not at all geared towards art. I have never 'understood' art, and I don't think ever will :)

Q. What would you like to try to make, that you haven't already? What is your dream project?

I would like to do some eye serums, facial serums, and some massage oils. Just don't have the time at the moment. Perhaps as my daughter becomes less... umm... 'interested' in items in cabinets and drawers I'll be able to expand my product line. I would love to do candles ... but I'm a bit of a pyro-phobe, so it may take some time before I feel comfortable with that.

Q. Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?

RUNNING!! I've competed in distance races (in college and afterwards). My favorite run of all time is when our coach drove us in a van 20+ miles away from campus, opened the doors and said "see you at dinner", and drove away! That's my passion! Though, now that I'm deeply involved in this business and my two small children, my 'distance' runs are few and far between. But I'm slowly adding more distance as the weeks go on. I have to make time for Mommy!


Q. How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict? :)

I've been on etsy for about 8 months now. It'd be EASY to become an etsy addict... but I try to refrain. It helps that my 'office area' is not in the 'common area' of the house - if it was more easily accessible with two children to care for, I'm sure I'd be 'checking in' more often!

Q. Is etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work?

I would say etsy is actually the smaller part of my business. I sell a lot locally, I have a few wholesale/consignment accounts, and friends and family are ALWAYS huge supporters!

Q. What are your future plans for your shop/business?

Just to continue adding whole sale accounts, and hopefully grow the business so it's full time when my daughter is in school full time (in about 4 years).

Q. How long have you been vegan/vegetarian? How does being veg play into the rest of your life?

Oh my... I can't even remember - perhaps a year or two?

Q. What is the last recipe you made? What are your food vices or cravings?

I seem to go in spurts with something I like until I get sick of it. Right now I'm eating TONS of lettuce/cheese and asiago/garlic dressing...mmmmmm.... with whole wheat homemade bread. I feel like I eat that 90% of the time, lately!

Q. What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?

In a small town, we have NO vegan/veggie anything. This entire area is based on farms (dairy, meat, etc..). The Pennsylvania Dutch area is not well known for it's veganism. ;) I just try to order the veggie choices when we go out to eat - though it ends up being the same one or two dishes often, it seems - not too many options.




2 comments:

Yvonne Hands said...

Wonderful interview. I love hearing how others started in their craft - very interesting! Thanks

lilsprout said...

i totally agree.How awesome and your shop it just gorgeous.

iam a bath n body nut lol

but still looking for the ultimate body cream for this dry skin of mine.