Thursday, March 19, 2009

Interview with ItsMeoworNever

Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus

Meet Michael of Etsy's ItsMeoworNever




Michael's shop is unique in that, extremely admirably, all of its profits go toward funding the non-profit, no-kill animal shelter he founded and runs, It's Meow or Never Animal Rescue and Sanctuary. His shop announcement explains that shop sales "provide much needed funds for us to care for our sanctuary animals and rescue more animals in dire need." The store is full to the brim with herby goodness and delights for your pets, from dried herbs and essential oils to pet beds and toys, and from spices, herb blends, and and teas to hand-poured candles. And knowing all of these items will support animals in need and Michael's love and compassion for animals makes stopping in feel special and important. :) But here's more about Michael...


Q. Etsy is a unique blend of artists with many different creative styles and approaches. What is your own "philosophy" or approach to creativity?

I am different, and sell the finest items that I have actually tried and approve of. People send in their videos of the cats playing with their Kitty Kickers, and I absolutely love seeing them play with a toy we made.

Q. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

Herbs, spices, cat toys, dog tugs, pet beds, catnip, lavender, craft items, etc.

Q. What are your creative inspirations?

I am a Cherokee Indian, so I think making craft items comes naturally.

Q. How did you get started creating?

I have watched my family and friends for the most part. I have always loved making crafts. I made a wedding dress for my sister. I love sewing, knitting, cross stitch, weaving, and making animals happy with my craft items.

Q. What other artistic tendencies do you have? Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?

I wish I could crochet and make quilts. I can't wait to make them and use the proceeds for the animals that we rescue.

Q. What would you like to try to make, that you haven't already? What is your dream project?

The most beautiful quilt!

Q. Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?

Yes, I rescue animals and adopt them out. I play guitar, keyboards, and sing.

Q. How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict? :)

I am an addict, and have been here since 2008.

Q. Is etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work?

Yes it is most of my business. Thank God for Etsy- the animals have been taken care of through Etsy so many times with emergency vets, etc. I have a store on ECrater, Silkfair, and 1000Markets, but to be honest, Etsy is the best!

Q. What are your future plans for your shop/business?

I will have my own website when I can figure out how to to create it. LOL I hope to expand my business a lot more, too, so we can rescue more animals. 100% of the proceeds from my store goes to the animals.

Q. How long have you been vegan/vegetarian? How does being veg play into the rest of your life?

I have been a vegan for about 25 years, and of course I need a vegan/vegetarian girlfriend/wife, so that really narrows the list down. LOL

Q. What is the last recipe you made? What are your food vices or cravings?

I love everything, especially broccoli.

Q. What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?

I don't really have a favorite- I love anything vegan.


Learn more about It's Meow or Never and watch their video in honor of homeless animals. You can support their mission to rescue and care for pets through successful adoption by making a purchase at the organization's Etsy shop, by sponsoring an animal, by purchasing wish list items (it's super easy- just click and pay through PayPal), or by making a direct donation.

4 comments:

mvegan said...

Yay! I love It's Meow or Never!!!! ;0) Great work Michael and all who help the animals there! :) Michele

NYCrochet said...

I love that name--Meow or Never! And I want to give that kitty big squishy hugs!

DogLover said...

Getting a good Pet Bed is one of the most important things you can do for your pet.

Fran said...

When you get time to think about how you think it should look, I would love to help you set up your website. For just $19.95 you can have your own site, through Synthasite, or you can even have a free one.

I just did one for a friend - it takes a while, but it's so rewarding.

This would be my donation to your cause, because I'm a cat nut...