Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Interview With PandaWithCookie


Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus

Meet Lisa of Etsy's PandaWithCookie


Besides her hankering for cookies, what's obvious in Lisa's shop is a sense of lightheartedness and fun. Evident is her passion for making whimsical, unique, heartwarming, and even silly creations that have universal appeal. Who could look at her not-so-scary monsters and not smile?! This "crafty panda" has definitely hit on something wonderful!


Q. Etsy is a unique blend of artists with many different creative styles and approaches. What is your own "philosophy" or approach to creativity?

I want my works to be fun and a pleasure to look at. I’m pretty opinionated about aesthetics and want my work to look good. But I also want it to be enjoyed and brighten your day when you see it. I feel like my origami cranes with the googly eyes capture my thoughts quite well.


Q. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

I sell fun fabric and paper creations. I have plush not-so-scary monsters, tote bags, origami cranes (with googly eyes), paper flowers and more. I am hoping to do more tofu-pirate themed things soon. Q. What are your creative inspirations?

Nature, kids' toys, hanging out at the fabric store, patterns.

Q. How did you get started creating?

I’ve always been creative. My mother and grandmother are both crafty, and I picked it up from them. I sold stuff at craft fairs in middle and high school and loved it, which led to an art degree in college. I continued to grad school, and have an MFA in Sculpture as well. I can’t imagine not making things. It’s what I do and who I am.



Q. What other artistic tendencies do you have? Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?

I’ve done a lot of different things. I used to weld and do bronze casting, and my undergrad areas of specialization were metalsmithing and ceramics.


Q. Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?

Cooking and baking! I do a lot of vegan recipe testing and love all the new things I’ve learned (and eaten).

Q. How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict? :)


I’ve only been selling since October 1, 2008. I got a shop name before then, but had nothing set up until this past fall. I like it so far.

Q. Is Etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work?

Etsy is all my business so far, but I’m looking to expand that. I want to get on some other sites and start doing area craft fairs.

Q. What is the last recipe you made? What are your food vices or cravings?

I’m cooking a potato leek soup now and will be making pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes tomorrow. I love cookies. Lots and lots of cookies. Y’all knew that.


Lisa in her studio

7 comments:

Kitsch Cuisine said...

heehee tofu pirate

purplecat said...

Pumpkin choc chip- wow sounds amazing!

Lo Christine said...

Such fun items!!

Aguavino said...

It's nice to "meet" you, Lisa!

panda with cookie said...

Thanks for reading everyone!

JulieWebb Photography+Design said...

Yay, it's Lisa! Nice to read your interview! :)

bazu said...

panda with cookie's designs always always make me smile! mission accomplished!