Saturday, February 21, 2009

Interview with MidnightRabbits/Veganessa

Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus

Meet 'Kim' of Etsy's MidnightRabbits & Veganessa




For Kim, being vegan is deeply spiritual, which, combined with her creative talent and admirable sewing skills, makes for two shops filled with fun and inspired, tempting vegan creations!


Q. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

At the moment I sell bags and accessories, but I would like to expand into clothing in the future. My main skill is sewing, so anything stitched is possible. I also make plushies and catnip toys when the mood strikes me.

I went to fashion college, and have worked in costume in theatre and television, so I love OTT creations.

Q. What are your creative inspirations?

Theatrical costumes and films! I loved the costumes in Elizabeth: the Golden Age- how I would have loved to have worked on them.

Q. Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?

I have 5 cats and 3 dogs. They take up quite a bit of time. The dogs always need their walk before I’ll even think about anything I might want to do for the day, so they keep me quite busy.

Q. How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict? :)

I joined Etsy about 18 months ago. It took a while to work out how it all worked. I was fascinated by the forums and chat and the whole community spirit of it. I have met some wonderful people who have become my ‘Etsy friends’. When I found Etsy for Animals (EFA), it was fabulous. I could combine my two passions – creating and helping animals. Since then, I’ve joined Etsyveg, Vegan Etsy, Cruelty Free Etsy (CFE), & Handmade4Hounds.


Q. Is etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work?

I am a Support Worker for homeless people in my "day job". I create things in my "own time". I have a shop at DaWanda and Folksy, but they are very small. I have a blog, and accounts on MySpace Flickr, Twitter. These are the ones that spring to mind, and that I use more frequently. I also have an Indiepublic account, but haven’t gotten around to figuring it out. Lately I’m so getting into my blog it’s becoming an addiction.

Q. What are your future plans for your shop/business?

I just opened a second shop on Etsy, called veganessa . This one is more about promoting veganism, and sells goods with words and slogans.

Q. How long have you been vegan/vegetarian? How does being veg play into the rest of your life?

I have been Vegan for about 23 years. I consider myself a Spiritual Vegan, as it is rooted in every part of my living being. I am strict about my veganism and check and ask questions- it is everything I do and am.

Q. What is the last recipe you made? What are your food vices or cravings?

I recently posted a recipe on my blog for Sweet and Spicy Root Soup. I’m always saying I should write my recipes down when I make something I like so I can make it again, but this is the first time I’ve kept a record of what goes into it. It was delicious, if I say so myself.

Q. What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?

I love Café Kino in Bristol, a city about 40 miles away. It’s all Vegan and it’s such a pleasure to be able to go to a café and pick anything off the menu, without having to look for the "vegan" option.


2 comments:

Kelle's Kitchen said...

I didn't realize that MidnightRabbits and Veganessa were the same person, ha ha :) What a great feature!

veganessa said...

Thanks for the write up, it's fabulous of you.