Monday, December 22, 2008

Interview with RedleafWands

Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus

Meet W. of Etsy's RedleafWands



Redleaf's Wizards' and Witches' Corner Store
, the the Etsy shop of W., also named Master Wandmaker Wamditanka Redleaf, is filled with works of beautiful wood and materials from nature made into unique, mystical creations. His extraordinary wands are lovingly, nurturingly carved, transforming each piece into an earthy, rustic, mysterious, 'magical' wonder.


K. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

W. Right now, wooden wands. But I'm planning to add many more wizardry-inspired items in the future. I have made several wizard staffs and hope to offer these soon. I'm learning to knit and felt wizard hats. I make recycled paper and may work on bookbinding from grimoires (spell books... or just really neat looking journals). And I'm working on some witch brooms as well.


K. What are your creative inspirations?

W. I think it's obvious that Harry Potter has inspired my wandmaking, but I have to mention another series that has been a great inspiration to me. J. A. Areces is the author of a free podiobook called "Interview for a Wizard" and its sequel "The Secret Society of Seven Sorcerers." Check out Areces.

K. What other artistic tendencies do you have? Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?

W. I'm a dabbler. I try everything and learn a bit about how to do very many different crafts. It's rare that I come across an art that I haven't tried, and when I do, I dive into it. I'm a musician (bagpipes, guitar, hand drums), and a writer (though I haven't been published). I'm also a dramaturge, a director, and an actor.

K. Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?

W. I'm a LARPer. LARP (Live Action Role Playing) is like an RPG (like Dungeons & Dragons or World of Warcraft) in which people get dressed up in costume and act as their characters for a day or weekend. This is what originally got me interested in creating wands. They work wonders in developing a costume for a fantasy game like the one I play: NERO.

K. How long have you been vegan/vegetarian? How does being veg play into the rest of your life?

W. I have only been a vegetarian for a little over a year. I think it's tough to be a veg in West Virginia. Very few restaurants serve vegetarian options, and several times I have been served meat despite making specific requests. It's extra tough since my wife is used to going out to eat at least twice a week. Fortunately, there are a few places in the local area that have a small number of veg options. And thank goodness for Morningstar Farms and Amy's frozen meals.

K. What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?


W. I just have to mention the Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps at P.F. Chang's. Mmmm... yum yum yum. But, sadly, no strictly veg store or restaurant in my area.

W. The pics are of 3 of my furbabies. They are definitely kids to my wife and me. We have three grey cats, Trent, Tess, and Tiana, and a little French Bo named Orlagh. The photos are of Tiana (the crazy looking cat), Trent, and Orlagh. Tess is too shy to get a picture. All of our babies were adopted from the Randolph County (WV) Humane Society, and a portion of all sales from my shop goes to help animals at that same shelter.


4 comments:

Crickets Creations Handknit Scarves said...

Nice to read more about you, W! You are a valued member of our team.
Celeste (Crickets)

Lu Lu's Melt Shoppe said...

What a lovely article :)

claynfiber said...

Thanks for the introduction to RedleafWands! And thank you W. for mentioning the lettuce wraps at PF Changs. I've not eaten there but will try them out now that I know there are good vegetarian options.

Ultratrixie is Sweetwolf.etsy.com said...

mmm, I am enjoying an Amy's meal as i read this! Your furbabies are cute, i can almost hear the grey one meowing in that pic!
Your items are really neato.