Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Interview with JaK Random Art


Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus

Meet Jennifer of Etsy's JaKRandomArt



A deep respect for all living beings, a passion for animals, and planet-friendly living inspire Jennifer of Etsy's JaKRandomArt to create wonderful, one-of-a-kind designs using recycled, upcycled, and found materials. Being vegan, being green, and being an artist appear an integral part of Jennifer's work and of her seemingly endless energy!


Q. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

I create unique, eco-friendly, handmade jewelry. Made from recycled vinyl records & found materials, each handmade piece of jewelry is a one-of-a-kind, wearable work of art. The materials used in my art are from recycled or found objects.

Q. What are your creative inspirations?

So many things inspire me, from nature to a song to a photograph. I am fortunate to find inspiration in all that is around me.


Q. How did you get started creating?

I have been creating one thing or another my whole life. I studied art and design in college and went on to a career in graphic design. I use my art as a creative outlet/stress reliever, as working with my hands gives me a chance to escape from the computer world of graphic design for a little bit.

Q. What other artistic tendencies do you have? Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?


I love photography, lomography specifically. I am also trying to learn to play the accordion.

Q. What would you like to try to make, that you haven't already? What is your dream project?


Large, mural-like photographs.


Q. Do you have any other hobbies/interests/passions?

Other than being creative... I am a vegan and passionate about animal rights and the environment. I have been determined to blog on a regular basis. I also love the beach, and there is never enough summer for me. I love to travel, but get home sick quickly- it's weird I know!

Q. How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict? :)

I have been on Etsy for 2 years now. I love Etsy, and am a bit of an Etsy addict.

Q. Is Etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work?

Etsy is a large part of my business. I also sell my items in shops around the country, and on Nimli.com, EconsciousMarket.com. I just set up a new shop on 1,000 Markets, as well.

Q. What are your future plans for your shop/business?

Just to hopefully keep on selling.

Q. How long have you been vegan/vegetarian? How does being veg play into the rest of your life?

I became a vegetarian at the age of 13. We always had animals that lived with us, and I felt, even at a young age, that it was wrong to eat any living creature. I went vegan on and off throughout college, then went completely vegan 5 years ago. I haven't looked back since :)

Q. What is the last recipe you made? What are your food vices or cravings?

The last recipe I made was homemade artichoke vegan raviolis. I love the pasta roller attachment my mother-in-law gave us for our wedding! I have a sweet tooth that gets me every time!

Q. What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?

My favorite vegan restaurant is a tough call. I work in NYC, so I am lucky to be surrounded by some of the most amazing places to eat. Closer to home in NJ, though, is a great veg place called Kaya's Kitchen in Belmar. If you ever visit the Jersey shore, this is the place to go, but be sure to make reservations. They get crowded quickly on the weekends.

My favorite vegetarian store is Mooshoes- they have so much I want there! My current favorite blog is Sunny Raw Kitchen. She has some amazing recipes, and I have been trying to add more raw foods into my diet lately.



1 comment:

Connie said...

I love Jennifer's bracelets...it's on my Christmas list for gifts for myself this year!!!

Peace & Love.