Thursday, November 13, 2008

Interview with Belle Sirota

Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus

Meet Renee of Etsy's BelleSirota


Q. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

French Beaded Flowers and beaded jewelry, using mostly off-loom weaving techniques.

Q. How did you get started creating?

I came across a kit in a bead store when I was 19, and that got me hooked! I’ve been working with beads ever since. I’ve always been fascinated with French Beaded Flowers after learning about them from my great-grandmother. She started making them when she was in her 70s and became very prolific. I’m still inspired by her beautiful flowers.

Q. What other artistic tendencies do you have? Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?

I’ve spent some time as a photographer, specializing in nature and concert photography. I’d like to find time to do more photography!

Q. What would you like to try to make, that you haven't already? What is your dream project?


I’d like to learn more about flower arranging, and start making arrangements of beaded flowers.

Q. How long have you been on Etsy, and are you an Etsy addict? :)

I opened my first Etsy shop (SomethingSparkly) in February 2006, so I’ve been on Etsy for a while! And yes, I’m definitely an etsy addict, but I don’t list
as often as I’d like.


Q. Is etsy a large part of your business? How else do you market your work?


Etsy’s not a very big part of my business, but I would like to change that. I co-own a retail store in Portland, Oregon. Everything in our shop is handcrafted and vegan! Right now we have the work of 53 artists, many of whom are on etsy.

Q. How long have you been vegan/vegetarian? How does being veg play into the rest of your life?

I’ve been vegan for almost 6 years, and was vegetarian for 4 years before that.

Q.What is the last recipe you made? What are your food vices or cravings?

I wish I had time to cook! But one of my favorite recipes is soft tacos with lentils or smart ground.

Q. What is your favorite vegan/vegetarian store/restaurant/blog/website?

Other than Belle Sirota? ;-) I really love Food Fight and the rest of Portland’s vegan mini mall. And my favorite restaurant is Araya’s Vegan Thai in Seattle.


6 comments:

Joanna said...

i love that beautiful purple flower. that's so unique.

Crickets Creations Handknit Scarves said...

So nice to see you here, Renee! Did I ever tell you that my middle name is Renee? :)

And your storefront looks AWESOME, I hadn't seen it before. I could totally see some Crickets' scarves in there.... ;)
xox,
Celeste (Crickets)

JulieWebb Photography+Design said...

Your beaded flowers are beautiful Renee! :)

FireHorse3 said...

Wow! Your shop looks fabulous. Wish I was close enough to visit.

Renee said...

Thanks, everybody! The store has been keeping me so busy, I haven't had time to make any flowers for a while.

Celeste, I could see your scarves in here too...convo me if you want to chat about that. And I didn't know that your middle name is Renee! :-)

annada said...

How lovely and impressive, Renee! I love the look of your store! :)