Thursday, October 9, 2008

A recipe from Pretty in Peace

One of my favorite things about October in Arizona is reclaiming my kitchen. As the heat breaks and the days become more comfortable, the kids go out to play and so do I- in my kitchen that is. I was truly flattered when Kylie contacted me to share this recipe with the team. I hope you enjoy it.


Grilled Portabellos, Poblano Chile & Black Bean Burritos

w/ Cilantro & Lime infused Jasmine rice


Serves 4


Ingredients:
4 whole grain wheat burrito size tortillas
3 medium sized poblano chiles
2 large portabello mushroom caps
15 oz whole black beans
1 cup uncooked extra long grain rice (I use Jasmine)
1tsp zest of one fresh lime
2 tbs recaito
1 ripened avocado
pico de gallo
olive oil

shredded cheese, dairy or vegan

Optional:
salt

Clean your veggies. I use a veggie brush. Lightly coat the mushroom caps and skin-in-tact peppers with spritz-on vegetable or olive oil. Grill until poblano skins are blistered and blackened. Remove and set aside. (Placing them in a paper bag will ease removal of the skins.)

In a sauce pan or trusty rice pot, heat a tablespoon of olive oil. Add lime zest and recaito followed by rinsed (or not) rice and warm water. Bring to a rolling boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer.

Your now-cooled poblano chiles are ready for you to remove the skins, seeds, and membranes, and then and cube. Cube your portabello caps too. If you add salt to your dishes, now would be a good time. I do not-I prefer the nuttiness of the mushroom, and salt totally kills that. Everything cubed? Good. Now toss to mix and set aside.

Once the rice water has been completely dissolved, remove the rice from the heat source and prepare to layer. Place your tortilla on a large plate or clean, dry work surface. First, poblano portabello mixture. Next, Cilantro lime rice, beans, cheese, pico de gallo, and fresh avocado slices. Wrap, and enjoy.


It isn't a pretty dish but, I assure you it is delicious! Let me know if you try it. I'm up for veggin' out a meat recipe too. If you're a recent convert shoot an e-mail with an old meat based recipe, and I'll do my best to remix it for you!

Peace & Veggies,

Tameka

No comments: