Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Interview with CricketsCreations

Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview by emmask9kitchen of VeganEtsy
Layout and Introduction by Kylie of SilentLotus

Meet Celeste of Etsy's CricketsCreations
http://cricketscreations.etsy.com


Celeste's gorgeous, luxurious works in fiber display her flair for color and style, as well as a streak of whimsy and spontaneity! Her scarves radiate warmth and the feeling of joy that she experiences while making them.
If that's not enough good stuff, her scarves are 100% cruelty-free!



What kind of items do you sell in your shop?

I design, create, & sell boutique-quality, luxury, fashion scarves using only soft, cruelty free, designer, vintage or novelty yarns. No silk, allergenic wool ,or other animal fibers. I adore working with people to either help them pick out the perfect scarf or design a custom order just for them. Customers are never obligated to purchase a scarf I design just for them; if they don’t like it, someone else will snatch it up.

Do you have any inspirations for your creations?

And how! I love scarves that are reminiscent of everything that either gives us life or brings joy to our lives. I have nature themed scarves (Sea Colors or Embers & Ashes, for example), food themed scarves (Chocolate Mint and Oat Bran Muffin are two current favorites), and fun-themed scarves (Carnival or Gothic Disco). My favorite inspirations are animals (Macaw, Octopus, Animal Print, etc)- I love to name my scarves after animals.

How long have you been making them?

I “went pro” in August 2007, and have already sold hundreds of cruelty-free scarves! I can easily produce 2-3 scarves daily.

Do you donate to any charities? If so, which ones & why?

My “real job” is working with Best Friends Animal Society. And I donate through EtsyForAnimals, as well.

What are some of your favorite things about etsy?

I love making friends AND money! Etsy is part of the consumerism movement without the ugly side of consumerism. It’s buying without that throw-away mentality, that wastefulness.

Do you sell your items outside of etsy (locally, other online stores, etc.)?

Yes, I love the bustle and person-to-person interaction of craft fairs. I also currently work with nine retailers, with several more lined up for later this year. My goal is to have my handknit, vegan scarf designs in 20 locations by the end of 2008. For a list of the boutiques, galleries, gift shops, etc. that feature my scarves, please my first blog post at http://cricketscreations.blogspot.com/

Do you have any future plans for your shop?

As I mentioned above, I hope to be working with 20 retailers by the end of 2008. I also hope to have more sales on Etsy than I have scarves listed. My goal when I started selling my scarves was to sell 6-7 a week. My average, even though I began in blazing hot August, has been 8.5 scarves a week, and it hasn’t stopped. Onward and upward!

What kinds hobbies and interests do you have?

I have been practicing Bikram yoga (http://bikramyoga.com/) for over a decade. I love the heat, the routine, and how demanding the poses are when tried correctly. I also love putzing around in our yard and pretending I’m gardening. I just love being outside, really.

How long have you been vegan?

This is so embarrassing…I forget! I was definitely vegan by the beginning of 2001, so I guess that’s seven years. It’s hard to remember NOT being vegan, at this point.


What are your reasons for being vegan?

It started out for the environment. Meat & dairy production is so wasteful and stresses our land so heavily. Then I learned more about factory farms and how even “organically” farmed animals are treated during food & clothing, etc., production. That was another nail in the coffin of my meat-eating days. Now there’s also the gross-out factor. What, they call that food? (laughs) I mean, I saw this lady in the grocery store today dressed in leather riding boots and a leather trench coat with fur trim. So, she’s plastered all over with the remains of dead beings. That’s a Texas Chainsaw Massacre full body suit! How is that okay?

Do you have any favorite vegan books, including cookbooks?

Um, no? I haven’t read since I was a kid, except on the Internet. Does that make me an uneducated mush-for-brains?

What are your favorite foods?

Potatoes! Persimmons! Anything green! Don’t get me started…I LOVE FOOD!!

Is there anything else you would like to add?

I admit it, I’m a color & texture junkie! I love color & texture, but most of all I love the interplay of different colors and textures. I’ll sit down and play with endless variations. I knit pretty quickly (I average 22 stitches a minute), so I never have time to get bored. As I knit, it absolutely thrills me to feel the yarns and see the colors. It’s a physical joy, like jumping on our trampoline. And I’m always eager to start anew with a new “crayon set” of yarns—I often use a dozen or more yarns in a single scarf for depth and interest.







You could be next! If you would like to be EtsyVeg's next featured member artist, please fill out the questionnaire in our Google Group team files!

3 comments:

Nicola said...

Great interview!

Crickets Creations Handknit Scarves said...

Wow, thank you so much! I love that you chose pics of my Nicky, he's my inspiration and I couldn't do it without him (besides, he's been veg longer than I have)!

Julie said...

Celeste is an inspiration--she is so active in the etsy community and in her shop. I wish I had that discipline.