Friday, January 9, 2009

Interview with StephHansonCreations


Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview presentation by Kylie of
SilentLotus

Meet Steph of Etsy's StephHansonCreations



Steph's work seems deeply spiritual, richly tactile, and soulfully organic, inspired by history and a connection with nature. Her creations exude beautifully rustic, earthy voice that calls out to be held and touched.


Q. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

I sell mixed media artwork and jewelry. My art is inspired by my biggest passions in life (besides art) - animals, nature, and the spirit of the Southwest. My art is all about texture! I love experimenting with and mixing up different acrylic mediums to create surfaces that mimic natural stone, sand, water, metal, wood, earth, and other natural surfaces. People who view my art always touch it right away. For me, the best compliment from people is, after feeling the surface, "That's so cool! How did you do that?"

Q. What are your creative inspirations?

My art is inspired by the beautiful Southwest and the desert around me, and especially by the many sites here where petroglyphs and pictographs - primitive rock art- can be found . The desert is like a magnet for creative and artsy people. It is a very inspiring place!

Q. How did you get started creating?

Like most artists, I’ve always had the urge to create. I started when I was really little. I’ve just recently had the opportunity to be a full-time artist since my son was born last February... and I am loving it!!


Q. What are your future plans for your shop/business?

A FULL shop! I would love to have pages and pages of listings. I also want to focus more on mixed media art on canvas and wood.

Q. How long have you been vegan/vegetarian? How does being veg play into
the rest of your life?


I have been mostly vegetarian since the age of 15, and have been fully veggie since I was 20 (8 years). My husband and 1 year-old son are also veggie. Living as cruelty-free as possible and promoting a cruelty-free lifestyle is a big part of our lives. We've handed out leaflets; attended animal rights meetings and workshops; participated in protests, campaigns, and letter writing activities; volunteered for many different organizations, including Animal Acres, Defenders of Wildlife, Any Rat Rescue, The Bunny Bunch Rabbit Rescue, Dreamchaser Premarin Horse Rescue and Rehabilitation; and fostered and adopted animals in need. I currently donate a percentage of my Etsy sales to Dreamchaser – and the rest goes directly towards the adoption of one of these amazing and deserving horses. I also donate my art to rescues and organizations to be auctioned in their fundraisers.


Benjamin and Steph at Dreamchaser with a premarin foal and adopted turkey.


Steph in Cave Creek AZ on a trail ride.

2 comments:

JulieWebb Photography+Design said...

Nice to read your interview Steph. Your work is wonderful and I really admire your dedication to animals. Your little guy is gorgeous too!

Julie :)

dreamchaser said...

Stephanie -

Great article and pictures of your art! Thanks also for including pics of our ranch, and for your contributions to further our cause!

The herd at DreamchaserPMU.org