Sunday, October 5, 2008

Interview with Kunklebaby

Part of an ongoing interview series profiling EtsyVeg members.
Interview by Kylie of
SilentLotus

Meet Jessica of Etsy's KunkleBaby
http://kunklebaby.etsy.com/




A visit to KunkleBaby is spirit-filled and enjoyable, as the shop is filled with Jessica's sweet, sophisticated, and modern handcrafted creations for mom and baby. Go see for yourself!

Q. What do you sell in your Etsy shop?

Luxury, handcrafted children's items combining fun, vibrant color with unique & elegant design. I'm very interested the relationships between color and texture.

Q. How did you get started creating?

I believe I was born an artist. My earliest memories involve painting and drawing. I was always drawn to creating. I could never have enough paper as a child. I started my Kunklebaby children's line after the birth of my son when I found it hard to find stylish, fun items for both myself and the baby. I wanted vibrant, fun, unique and elegant. Just because I had children didn't mean I was no longer stylish. I hoard fabric and just imagine all the fabulous things I “could” make with each piece.

Q. What other artistic tendencies do you have? Do you have other crafty/artsy skills that you already do or would like to try?

My first love is painting. I studied fine art at the Columbus College of Art & Design and Ohio State University. With lots of little hands "helping" at my house, I don't get to paint as often as I'd like these days. I'm also interested in photography, and printmaking. And I would love to learn how to work with blown glass.

Q. What are your future plans for your shop/business?

In the next year I am planning on incorporating my artwork into my shop. I will start selling prints and original paintings alongside my children’s clothing and accessories. They will fit in well with my shop, as they have the same colorful, fun feel as my shop.

Q. How long have you been vegan/vegetarian? How does being veg play into the rest of your life?

I have been a vegetarian for 24 years. Just three years shy of my entire life. I grew up in a house where meat was the most important food group...so it was quite interesting! I am currently raising my children vegetarian, and I hope they decide it is something they want to continue in their lives when they are older. I think being vegetarian has taught them a greater compassion for others and to respect the world around them.

Q. Where does the name Kunklebaby come from?

My two oldest children are 12 months apart and have this super close relationship. When my oldest was two, they started creating and speaking their own language. Kunkle was one of their made up words. They used to tell me you could buy anything from the Kunkle Store-bread, toilet paper, even mermaids. So became Kunklebaby.


1 comment:

Crickets Creations Handknit Scarves said...

Very cool story about how KunkleBaby came to be and got its name!